BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default No GK GK+Inquisition List

So I'm borderline obsessed with the inquisition and I'm looking for a decent pure list that's not going to be steamrolled every time. Below is my best attempt, I'm looking for feedback or suggestions.

+++ Pure Inquisition (1849pts) +++
    +++ 1850pt Fortifications, Grey Knights, [GW] Codex Inquisition (Fortification, Primary Detachment, Inquisitorial Detachment)) +++

Selections:

Fortifications (Fortification) Selections:

+ Fortification +

* Aegis Defense Line

Grey Knights 5th Edition (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (100pts)

* Inquisitor
    * Inquisitor Coteaz
    (I've Been Expecting You, Independent Character, Psyker (Mastery Level 2), Spy Network, Stubborn)
    Bolt Pistol, Dark Excommunication, Frag, Krak and Psyk-out Grenades, Hammerhand, Master Crafted Nemesis Force Daemonhammer, Psyber Eagle, Sanctuary

+ Troops + (861pts)

* Formosan Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (172pts)
    4x Jokaero Weaponsmith (Inconceivable Customisation, Jokaero Ingenuity)
    * Acolyte x8
    Chainsword, Flak Armour, Laspistol

* Formosan Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (172pts)
    4x Jokaero Weaponsmith (Inconceivable Customisation, Jokaero Ingenuity)
    * Acolyte x8
    Chainsword, Flak Armour, Laspistol

* Formosan Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (120pts)
    * Psyker x8
    (Psychic Barrage)
    Chainsword, Laspistol
    * Rhino (40pts)
    (Psychic Pilot, The Aegis)
    Fortitude, Smoke Launchers

* Formosan Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (139pts)
    * Acolyte x12
    Flak Armour, Laspistol, Storm Bolter
    * Chimera
    (Amphibious)
    Heavy Bolter, Multilaser, Smoke Launchers

* Acolyte x12
    * Chimera
    (Amphibious)

* Acolyte x12
    * Chimera
    (Amphibious)

+ Fast Attack + (205pts)

* Stormraven Gunship
    (Assault Vehicle, Deep Strike, Power of the Machine Spirit, Psychic Pilot, Shadow Skies, The Aegis)
    Fortitude, Twin Linked Lascannons, Twin Linked Multi Meltas

Codex Inquisition Selections:

+ HQ + (108pts)

* Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (108pts)
    (Independent Character, Stubborn)
    Bolt Pistol, Force Sword, Frag and Krak Grenades, Liber Heresius, Power Armour, Psychotroke Grenades, Psyk-out Grenades, Rad Grenades
    * Psyker (Mastery Level 1)
    (Psychic Power)
    * Hammerhand
    Hammerhand - Warp Charge 1 (*)

+ Elites + (525pts)

* Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (431pts)
    * Crusader
    Power Sword, Storm shield
    * Death Cult Assassin x7
    (Uncanny Reflexes)
    2x Power weapons
    * Land Raider Crusader (255pts)
    (Assault Vehicle, Frag Assault Launchers, Power of the Machine Spirit)
    2 x Hurricane Bolters, Psybolt Ammunition, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Assault Cannon
    * Ministorum Priest
    Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Sword

* Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (94pts)
    * Acolyte x3
    Carapace Armour, Chainsword, Laspistol
    * Razorback (70pts)
    Psybolt Ammunition, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Assault Cannon

The plan would be to keep coteaz at the back behind the aegis, with the jokaero squads shooting up heavy armour being prescienced.

Xenos inquisitor with the death cult chagrin across the board at threat units. Razorback providing mid table support.

Use the psykers as a vindicator and the troops with stormbolters in chimera shredding infantry.

Storm raven as air support.

Ok pure inquisitor forces have some issues
    1) any thing not led by an inquisitor is only ld 8
    2) squads are not big and can suck up points if you let them
    3) not much is fast

Now I'm currently working on a pure inquisitor force so I have not solved all the problems but here are my thoughts

You can have more inquisitors. You have picked the combo that gives you max hench men. But the grey knight hench men need inquisitors, and they are cheap. Inquisitor hench men can use a priest to make them fear less but not grey knights.

A second ordo Malanus in term armour to act as your warlord would be prudent. As a warlord he is slightly harder to kill. Also some crusader do help in keeping him alive. Jus trembler to put the at the front.
    Your ja kero 4 in one squad. This has to be the coteaz squad and he is going to divination. But the rest of those guys can't take advantage of div or space monkey boosts.
    Now you have another squad in a chimera all with storm bolters. Chimeras do have a lot of fire points but not all of them are going to be able to shoot out. Now if you mix up the two squads I think you will find a combo that is more effective.
    Your psyker squad. One perils and it is gone and it's scoring. So either add in at least a acolyte to allow it remain scoring or ( harder due to the more effective priest) swap out of main org chart with a ally warband.

Think you need more anti tank. Acolyte melta an option. Plasma gun were (before new guard/not checked yet) good value.

Hope that helps

Dave l
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Ok pure inquisitor forces have some issues
    1) any thing not led by an inquisitor is only ld 8
    2) squads are not big and can suck up points if you let them
    3) not much is fast

Now I'm currently working on a pure inquisitor force so I have not solved all the problems but here are my thoughts

You can have more inquisitors. You have picked the combo that gives you max hench men. But the grey knight hench men need inquisitors, and they are cheap. Inquisitor hench men can use a priest to make them fear less but not grey knights.

A second ordo Malanus in term armour to act as your warlord would be prudent. As a warlord he is slightly harder to kill. Also some crusader do help in keeping him alive. Jus trembler to put the at the front.
    Your ja kero 4 in one squad. This has to be the coteaz squad and he is going to divination. But the rest of those guys can't take advantage of div or space monkey boosts.
    Now you have another squad in a chimera all with storm bolters. Chimeras do have a lot of fire points but not all of them are going to be able to shoot out. Now if you mix up the two squads I think you will find a combo that is more effective.
    Your psyker squad. One perils and it is gone and it's scoring. So either add in at least a acolyte to allow it remain scoring or ( harder due to the more effective priest) swap out of main org chart with a ally warband.

Think you need more anti tank. Acolyte melta an option. Plasma gun were (before new guard/not checked yet) good value.

Hope that helps

Dave l
    Holy moly, that's more than I was expecting to get if I'm honest!

For more heavy support, I was thinking about a Vindicare Assassin, but they are expensive and can only take one vehicle per turn and are quite squishy. Plus in my experience my rolls suck with them, I used them in 3 games and never landed a hull point... And this was against armour 10 dark Eldar. I figured that the psyker pie plate would be a decent anti heavy answer, but you're right there's no redundancy.

Maybe for coteaz, I could make a unit with more that would value from his prescience than just 4 jokaero and a wound pool. Maybe put some servitors in.

How about loosing the storm raven for a second Land raider with Lascannons and use points to upgrade the aegis. It being on turn one makes it more likely to take down transport turn 1.

So try more variety rather than bums on seats?

I have had some success with the vindicate but look out sir has merged him a little.

I'm adding plasma servitors and acolytes to my coteaz squad as his deep strike shoot ability. The only thing that I can think that deep strikes that won't feel the hurt is blood angel land raiders. Plasma servitors and psyker template both benefit from use of servo skulls.

Guard chimera has less shoot points does not affect us yet but may be soon. Also in not too distant future we may get the new transport option.

Dave l

Loosing your storm raven is a hard call I've yet to invest in one. It does bring some anti air and much needed speed.
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post

Loosing your storm raven is a hard call I've yet to invest in one. It does bring some anti air and much needed speed.
    I haven't actually bought one yet, I'm looking to borrow from a friend and try a list out before I commit financially to the missing pieces. Maybe I'll trying double up on the Death Cult murder squads and try that first.

I'll look forward to seeing any lists you might have that work out too.

Thanks
    Chanderzz

Brother-Sergeant

Finding it harder and harder to justify an Inquisition list, might as well take the super cheap scoring units from guard... sorry Astra Militarum like 30 Conscripts and priest to make them fearless. Alas I do intend to keep some of the fun units like the DCA squad and psykers. But the rest might be better taken from more efficient Codex.