BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    It doesn't come up. Allocating and resolving wounds one by one is the default way to handle things. You only use the faster methods when they're identical to the "real" way to resolve wounds. So you would allocate shots one by one to the melta gun guy until he's dead (assuming he's your #1 priority), then one by one to the sergeant until he's dead, and if you weren't going to be allocating any more shots to specific models, you could then roll all remaining saves and kill from the front.
    Yes and no, nothing in the rules for precision shot requires you to allocate them one by one, the firing players simply chooses the model they are allocated to rather than the standard method of allocating, only the existence of mixed saves or a character would require things to be done one by one, which admittedly almost every unit contains at least 1 character

Gleipnir is technically correct about that. The FAQ on using the "mixed saves" rules for characters is sufficient in my mind to demonstrate that the "mixed saves" method is in fact the base method of wound resolution, which I should have mentioned is not something that everybody necessarily agrees with.

Chaplain

Not so much the base method but a method that is kinda forced on you so long as characters are in the unit, realistically the errata that changed it to include characters probably could have been written as units with characters with models in range for Look Out Sir rolls, but I'm sure they just didn't want to complicate it, so stuck with the simplest language.

Good catch on the Take Aim order seriously overpowers things when you can essentially snipe out the nastiest models in a blob, did you see anything in the rules limiting the number of orders that can be issued to one unit?

Example: Get Back in the Fight, followed by one of the other Shooting or Running Orders
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-19-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Not explicitly. However, the codex does say "Unless an order causes the ordered unit to make a shooting attack or Run, receiving it does not prevent the ordered unit from acting later in that phase," which implies to me that the usual restrictions on how many shooting attacks you can make, and running and shooting, are still in place. In addition, orders specify that they're resolved before any further orders can be given. So while you can theoretically give multiple orders to the same unit, you can't issue "Take Aim!" to the same unit multiple times in the same phase, nor can you issue "Take Aim!" to a unit to give it Precision Shots, and then issue "First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire!" so that they get more Precision Shots than usual.

Chaplain

So when the order issued at the start of the Shooting phase says wait for it to be resolved does that refer to the leadership test or when the order says Must shoot or must run you simply resolve the leadership test and use the unit to shoot, run etc, and that is considered to be resolving the order.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    So when the order issued at the start of the Shooting phase says wait for it to be resolved
    I must not be seeing this. I don't see any orders that aren't resolved immediately. What's the passage you're looking at?

I think it's pretty clear, you roll to hit wound, work out saves etc...then remove models... then make another order ...and so on...

Whilst it's not 100% clear pretty sure this is what's meant when they say "immediately make a shooting attack"... When it's resolved get on with the next order...
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Chaplain

Reason I was asking is I thought allowing a unit to Take aim and ignore cover in one go would be way OP.

I believe the rule line that says

"Unless an order causes the ordered unit to make a shooting attack or Run, receiving it does not prevent the ordered unit from acting later in that phase, whether the order was successful or not."

...means that orders that force you to make a shooting attack or run are resolved immediately in their entirety while orders like Get back in the Fight or in the case of Militarum Tempestus, who has two orders that give Fleet and Crusader respectively they could receive multiple orders only so long as it was one of those.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-19-2014 at 04:49 PM.

I'd say it was a maximum of one order per unit... But your right nothing RAW to stop this
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Reason I was asking is I thought allowing a unit to Take aim and ignore cover in one go would be way OP.

I believe the rule line that says

"Unless an order causes the ordered unit to make a shooting attack or Run, receiving it does not prevent the ordered unit from acting later in that phase, whether the order was successful or not."

...means that orders that force you to make a shooting attack or run are resolved immediately in their entirety while orders like Get back in the Fight or in the case of Militarum Tempestus, who has two orders that give Fleet and Crusader respectively they could receive multiple orders only so long as it was one of those.
    My bad ... just spotted the following in both the AM and MT codices:

"Orders cannot be issued to embarked units or units that previously received an order that phase (whether or not that order was successful" (emphasis added).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast