BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Is say she's deluded enough not to let that stop her.

Smart would be using cats paws and keeping your own hands clean.....
    Just keep watching mystery
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Banned

This had me in hysterics XD

Banned

Who knew that coffee makes your hand grow back?

Chapter-Master

Is that actually from the show? Cos it looks photoshopped to me.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Banned

He's not in his armour either so probably a rehearsal shot - think it's from one of the preview vids.

Another satisfying episode!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

[URL="http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2014/04/21/3429107/game-of-thrones-rape/"]What that Game of Thrones scene says about rape culture[/URL]

Just going to leave that here.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Yes, I found that scene deeply uncomfortable and rather out of keeping with the rest of the episode. I don't understand why they changed it from the book, it adds nothing either character. I doubt they actually intended it to be a rape scene, but given she clearly objects and doesn't come round to consenting, it's hard to view it as anything else. It was made more uncomfortable by the characters involved. Rape is commonplace in that world, there's no getting away from it, but I don't recall any of the main characters ever being directly involved in it. It's always spoke about in retrospect, and usually to people who are long dead, or unnamed 'plebs'. Directly and graphically representing it, with two main characters, who had previously been in a loving relationship, takes it to a whole new level. This moment is a turning point for their relationship, but thanks to that scene, it is now for entirely the wrong reasons.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quick caveat - Haven't read the books, so don't know much about how the breakdown of that relationship is portrayed.

But could it be a method of showing the shift with limited scenes, for plot reasons. Incredibly rubbish method, but a plot device type thing? (not defending the scene)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yeah the scene was mishandled, the director has said it wasn't supposed to be a rape scene because she consents towards the end which highlights one of the things the scene says about our culture. The characterisation makes the scene look even more gratuitous though:

Character A is known to dislike sexual violence
    Character A is seriously injured defending Character B* from sexual violence
    Character A sexually assaults Character C**

...what? It's just a mess.

*Ha
    **Ha!
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast