BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

edit: sod it, whatever guys, clearly we disagree on what constitutes stepping over the line and were not going to agree any time soon. Its not worth me getting angry over.

Mystery You have my condolences for your situation.
    Last edited by daboarder; 04-23-2014 at 07:04 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I hope you never find out to the contrary.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Eldargal I hate to say it, but you really have pushed this to far...

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Murder by definition doesn't leave a victim...
    That one sentance is the most offensive thing I think you have ever muttered on this thread.

Murder does leave victims

What about the poor Mother who son was murdered while at a bus stop...
    What about the Wife who's husband was killed while defending his home and property...
    What about the Child who's left without a mother after a vicious assualt in a park.....

All three of thos sentances above are related to infamous murders here in the UK AND ALL THOSE MURDERS LEFT VICTIMS!

I'm right pissed off now....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Except it is true. It doesn't make the crime any less abhorrent, this isn't about ranking crimes in some kind of hierarchy of horribleness. The issue is that people are trying to dismiss the seriousness of rape by saying 'well murder is bad' like that is being questioned. All I am saying is that murder effects FAR fewer people and that there are by definition no murder survivors who can be triggered and that the numbers of people who could be triggered by murder on television are vastly lower than those who could be triggered by sexual assault on television. The issue here isn't that murder isn't bad or that it doesn't destroy the lives of the victims families and friends but that their suffering is being used to disregard the feelings of the millions of rape survivors in the countries GoT airs in.

You're pissed off? I'm pissed off that people are defending a ****ing rape scene on teevee because apparently watching a woman get violated because the writers ****ed up is more acceptable than pointing out they ****ed up. I'm not even the one who brought up murder in teh first place.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Edit2:

no one is defending a rape scene

they are ****ty at your decision that the rape scene is somehow more abhorrent than the torture, child abuse, slavery and cannabilism, in the rest of the show
    Last edited by daboarder; 04-23-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Edit2:

no one is defending a rape scene

they are ****ty at your decision that the rape scene is somehow more abhorrent than the torture, child abuse, slavery and cannabilism, in the rest of the show
    I'm not saying rape is worse than any of those things, I'm not even saying rape can't be referenced in the show. What I am saying is that the writers ****ed up and instead of accepting that people are trying to excuse a gratuitous rape scene which shouldn't have been a rape scene. Depictions of murder, cannibalism etc are ****ing irrelevant because it isn't about what can and cannot be shown, it is about the writers not ****ing understanding what consent is and people deciding it is better to be a rape apologist than let a television show be criticised.
    Last edited by eldargal; 04-23-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Banned

To perhaps phrase differently- EG isn't saying other people aren't affected by a person's murder, but that when a person is murdered that person doesn't have to be very careful with what TV or movies they watch because, despite the source being very different people will accidentally depict a very realistic sexual assault scene then deny they've f'ed up.
    I'm saying this as someone who is a survivor like Mystery. I still can't actually say the r-word out loud, reading it makes me uncomfortable and writing it takes a lot of effort. Hell, it was a long time before I could even admit that it happened to me. I am so very grateful I had the last ep of GoT spoiled for me or accidentally seeing that scene as a total out of character out of the blue event would have probably reduced me to tears. Of the six women closest to me in my family (including me) three of us - that I know of - have been sexually assaulted. I know I was reminded by that awful, casually and ignorantly done scene of what happened to me, and it's not a fun set of memories to relive when characters are repeating dialogue you've heard before and then the writers say "it was consensual" when you're a victim struggling with coming to terms with that very thing yourself.

And EG is talking about the general defence of the scene, not necessarily of poster's here comments. Also the writers have defended the scene saying it is meant to be consensual, where I severely doubt they would say that, for example, Joffrey's killing of Rose was meant to be a tragic accident and if we thought he murdered her we were mistaken despite the obvious cues otherwise. That's the defence that's being talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    To perhaps phrase differently- EG isn't saying other people aren't affected by a person's murder, but that when a person is murdered that person doesn't have to be very careful with what TV or movies they watch because, despite the source being very different people will accidentally depict a very realistic sexual assault scene then deny they've f'ed up.
    I'm saying this as someone who is a survivor like Mystery. I still can't actually say the r-word out loud, reading it makes me uncomfortable and writing it takes a lot of effort. Hell, it was a long time before I could even admit that it happened to me. I am so very grateful I had the last ep of GoT spoiled for me or accidentally seeing that scene as a total out of character out of the blue event would have probably reduced me to tears. Of the six women closest to me in my family (including me) three of us - that I know of - have been sexually assaulted. I know I was reminded by that awful, casually and ignorantly done scene of what happened to me, and it's not a fun set of memories to relive when characters are repeating dialogue you've heard before and then the writers say "it was consensual" when you're a victim struggling with coming to terms with that very thing yourself.

And EG is talking about the general defence of the scene, not necessarily of poster's here comments. Also the writers have defended the scene saying it is meant to be consensual, where I severely doubt they would say that, for example, Joffrey's killing of Rose was meant to be a tragic accident and if we thought he murdered her we were mistaken despite the obvious cues otherwise. That's the defence that's being talked about.
    +1

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    To perhaps phrase differently- EG isn't saying other people aren't affected by a person's murder, but that when a person is murdered that person doesn't have to be very careful with what TV or movies they watch because, despite the source being very different people will

And its been pointed out how that is ****ing bull**** and downplays the effect of a murder on those left behind.

So its being hypocritical as all bloody hell, which was the point

Every time she states it is fine for the series to depict the violence it does due to the "smaller" community of potential people affected by those depictions she is effectively dismissing those people on the basis of tough ****.
    Last edited by daboarder; 04-23-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Banned

Well sexual assault also affects those around that person so it's sort of the same I guess..?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast