BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asterion View Post
    The ones where you condescend every female commenting on this and apologise to the one man who argues with you. The ones where you down play and insult people about rape and jump on them for talking out it. Trying to shame and scare people away from discussing rape sensibly while you shout and swear and attack them.
    dude I dont even know who posts on here is female. And frankly I dont give a damn if they are or not. (Felt like throwing an edit in here, incase anyone else reads this: I dont care if posters are male or female because gender is irrelevant to who a person is and what that person says)

Eldargal most certainly has my condolences and sympathies for what has happened in her life, And I agree that society doesnt do nearly enough to combat or punish rape.

Im not insulting anyone about rape, or trying to downplay its significance at all. If anything its the diret opposite, its one of the most heinous and violent acts one person can do to another and is repulsive, and you'll never get me saying its not. its right up there with murder, child abuse, slavery and cannibalism in the terrible things in this show.

my point is, and has always been, that decrying a show because it depicts one of those vile acts, but not caring if it depicts the others is hypocritical.

but whatever, we are clearly rubbing each other the wrong way, so I am just going to leave it this time.
    Last edited by daboarder; 04-23-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    its right up there with murder, child abuse, slavery and cannibalism in the terrible things in this show.
    And the writers have defended none of these or claimed they weren't those things or that people's outrage and disgust at them was unwarranted. They did that with the other scene - and that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    dude I dont even know who posts on here is female. And frankly I dont give a damn if they are or not.

Eldargal most certainly has my condolences and sympathies for what has happened in her life, And I agree that society doesnt do nearly enough to combat or punish rape.

Im not insulting anyone about rape, or trying to downplay its significance at all. If anything its the diret opposite, its one of the most heinous and violent acts one person can do to another and is repulsive, and you'll never get me saying its not. its right up there with murder, child abuse, slavery and cannibalism in the terrible things in this show.

my point is, and has always been, that decrying a show because it depicts one of those vile acts, but not caring if it depicts the others is hypocritical.
    I've been here a week and its pretty damn obvious.

You're an ***, plain and simple. You're patronising and going off on tagents and purposefully misintereting points to try and get across your point , which is basically that women shouldn't complain about rape being in the show.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    And the writers have defended none of these or claimed they weren't those things or that people's outrage and disgust at them was unwarranted. They did that with the other scene - and that's the problem.
    And I've said 4 times already that I agree, that is a massive problem, a seriously disturbing problem.

The only bright side of which is that the fans have enough moral fibre to identify what the scene portrayed, even id the director didnt.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I think we should all relax. The issue isn't that rape was depicted, the issue was how. An earlier scene as I've mentioned did a much better job. This one was bad not because it showed rape but because it wasn't supposed to and instead depicted a rape through ignorance and negligence on the part of the writers and that they defended it in a way they do not defend other problematic themes.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I think we should all relax. The issue isn't that rape was depicted, the issue was how. An earlier scene as I've mentioned did a much better job. This one was bad not because it showed rape but because it wasn't supposed to and instead depicted a rape through ignorance and negligence on the part of the writers and that they defended it in a way they do not defend other problematic themes.
    right, calming down, then yes I agree completely with this statement

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asterion View Post
    AND you then get your figures questioned about the crime. Again proving just how overlooked rape is in our society.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that pointing out, with facts and figures to back it up, how much more common one crime is in relation to another is the same as downplaying the less common crime.
    The estimated population of the United Kingdom in the 2011 census was 63.182 million of whom 31.029m were men and 32.153m women.

There are NOT 6430600 (20% or 1/5 of 32153000) female rape victims in this country. There just isn't. Neither if you skew in the male figures, are there.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#United_Kingdom"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#United_Kingdom[/URL]

Now I am not downplaying rape or anything like it. I just think a moral compass that flashes on a rape scene that wasn't intended to be one by the director (even though it passes a quite reasonable definition of rape) but does not raise any concern about stabbing pregnant women in the belly, murder, torture, cutting men's phalluses off - is skewed.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    does not raise any concern about stabbing pregnant women in the belly, murder, torture, cutting men's phalluses off - is skewed.

Except it IS possible that the figures are that high, people just don't want to believe it. In fact if you take sexual assault in general then 1 in 5 women between 16-59 have been sexually assaulted and the figure for rape is doubtless higher as many girls don't even know that their boyfriend forcing them to have sex and so forth IS rape.

The fact is the pregnant stabbing scene WAS raised as an issue, as were all those other things. The hyper-violence of the show does NOT get a free pass, it just exists in a society where that sort of violence is thankfully rare and thus is seen as distant and more acceptable. It is still being discussed, however.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    The estimated population of the United Kingdom in the 2011 census was 63.182 million of whom 31.029m were men and 32.153m women.

There are NOT 6430600 (20% or 1/5 of 32153000) female rape victims in this country. There just isn't. Neither if you skew in the male figures, are there.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#United_Kingdom"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#United_Kingdom[/URL]

Now I am not downplaying rape or anything like it. I just think a moral compass that flashes on a rape scene that wasn't intended to be one by the director (even though it passes a quite reasonable definition of rape) but does not raise any concern about stabbing pregnant women in the belly, murder, torture, cutting men's phalluses off - is skewed.
    On what basis are you saying there aren't that many rape victims? Its a highly believeable figure if you look at a wide range of sources and studies, lets not just use wikipedia as a tool for this when its been shown to be a massivly hostile environment for female editors.

People have made a big deal about the level of violence, now they're makling a big deal about the rape and people (especially MRAs and such) are telling them they shouldn't complain abut rape, that the scene didn't depict rape (really? A woman telling a man that she doesn't want to have sex and then he pushes her to the ground and forces it, thats not rape?) or that rape was fine and expecting in the cultre of Westeros so we should just accept this rape scene forced on us.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast