Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
The problem with rape vs the other horrible things that happens on Game of Thrones is that all of those are either fictional entirely or so rare in the modern world that they are basically hypothetical to most people. The chance of being murdered in the UK is 1.2 in 100,000. The chance of being raped is about 1 in 5. Don't bother to give me stats here but I highly doubt this is the Stat for the UK. Neither a 1 in 5 chance of being raped at any given time is true, nor is 1 in 5 women in the UK victims of rape.

Murder doesn't leave traumatised survivors who can be triggered by scenes like this, rape does.

Tell that to the Soham families. This is an incredibly trite thing to say.

Most of the other hyper-violence in GoT is so obviously fictional it is easy to separate from reality. Rape isn't. Rape is a common, daily occurrence which is not taken seriously by society, its perpetrator are not punished and the onus is places on the victim not the aggressor. Rape is absolutely not something which should be used inserted into a show just to shock people because there are large numbers of people who have had hteir lives ruined by sexual assault around today to see what they suffered through being used as a cheap narrative trick in a television show.
I think the difference between rape and murder is clearly one is anathema to your politics and one isn't. Feminists privilege mayhaps? The result is that we are now subjected to crayoning over a thread about a TV show with thoughts about rape. Wonderful.

Where's my cornflakes?