BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

So I guess what?

That they are both screwed? Ill pay that.

But dont get all prancy and upset about a fictional depiction of one while having no problem with the other,

and that is and was and has been the entire frakking point.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    And its been pointed out how that is ****ing bull**** and downplays the effect of a murder on those left behind.

So its being hypocritical as all bloody hell
    Except I've not done that, all I've done is point out the disparity in numbers. In 2011-12 there were 550 murder victims, even allowing one hundred people being traumatised by their deaths that is still less than a tenth of female rape victims in the same year. The problem is NOT that one crime is worse than the other, but that one crime leaves MILLIONS of survivors in this country alone EACH YEAR who then get to see a scene accidentally depicting rape and then have their feelings dismissed by the creators responses.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

So I guess what?

That they are both screwed? Ill pay that.

But dont get all prancy and upset about a fictional depiction of one while having no problem with the other,

and that is and was and has been the entire frakking point.
    Well, I dunno about you, but in the UK, we are warned about sexual content and violence and SHOULD be warned abut rape if it occurs in the programme, there was no warning about the rape scene.

No one is saying that violence and murder are good or lesser, they're saying that this was a rape scene, which shocked and upset people, and some fans and the writers are saying that it isn't a rape scene.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Except I've not done that,

The problem with rape vs the other horrible things that happens on Game of Thrones is that all of those are either fictional entirely or so rare in the modern world that they are basically hypothetical to most people. The chance of being murdered in the UK is 1.2 in 100,000. The chance of being raped is about 1 in 5
    yeah sure thing

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asterion View Post
    Well, I dunno about you, but in the UK, we are warned about sexual content and violence and SHOULD be warned abut rape if it occurs in the programme, there was no warning about the rape scene.

No one is saying that violence and murder are good or lesser, they're saying that this was a rape scene, which shocked and upset people, and some fans and the writers are saying that it isn't a rape scene.
    Sure and as I stated in my first post, thats a different argument. One where the fact that so many people had a problem with the scene should say just as much about us as it does the director, ie: that we dont find that the directors definition of what constitutes rape is appropriate.

Its not the depiction itself that should be the problem, as wildley already pointed out its the editing and direction of the scene (particularly that they seem to think it WASNT rape) that should be the problem.
    Last edited by daboarder; 04-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Except I've not done that, all I've done is point out the disparity in numbers. In 2011-12 there were 550 murder victims, even allowing one hundred people being traumatised by their deaths that is still less than a tenth of female rape victims in the same year. The problem is NOT that one crime is worse than the other, but that one crime leaves MILLIONS of survivors in this country alone EACH YEAR who then get to see a scene accidentally depicting rape and then have their feelings dismissed by the creators responses.
    AND you then get your figures questioned about the crime. Again proving just how overlooked rape is in our society.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah sure thing
    I don't think that pointing out, with facts and figures to back it up, how much more common one crime is in relation to another is the same as downplaying the less common crime.

Chapter-Master

I don't think that pointing out, with facts and figures to back it up, how much more common one crime is in relation to another is the same as downplaying the less common crime.
    Her context for that statement was my previous question as to why now does GoT become abhorent.

Her responce was that despite all the OTHER horrendous things in the show, it doesnt effect enough people to be of a concern.....that is downplaying those other acts, its putting a finite number on how many people need to be affected before shes willing to be morally indignant, and its hypocritical.
    Last edited by daboarder; 04-23-2014 at 08:36 AM.

yeah sure thing
    I used evidence to support what I was saying about the relative scale of the crimes in question, that is not downplaying their impact. The fact is for most people the prospect of being murdered is hypothetical. Very few people live their lives in fear of being murdered. In contrast if I want to go out with some friends we have to plan the evening to minimise our chance of being raped. Rape is a constant, ever present threat against women in our society. That doesn't make it worse than murder, it just makes it more common and it is why depictions of rape can't just be dismissed with 'well murder happens to'. When I see a murder on television I see an abstract event, something that happens but is thankfully rare. When I see a rape I see something that I have narrowly avoided having happen to myself over half a dozen times and something that has happened to many friends an acquaintances of mine. Two of whom are on this very forum posting in this very topic.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Her context for that statement was my previous question as to why now does GoT become abhorent.

Here responce was that despite all the OTHER horrendous things in the show, it doesnt effect enough people to be of a concern.....that is downplaying those other acts, its putting a finite number on how many people need to be affected before shes willing to be morally indignant, and its hypocritical.
    I'm not going to bother arguiung with you, hopefully you'll be banned for your comments in this thread because they're horrendous.

Chapter-Master

I'm not going to bother arguiung with you, hopefully you'll be banned for your comments in this thread because they're horrendous.
    ????

what comment?

????

what comment?
    The ones where you try, in your limited capacity, to condescend every female commenting on this thread and then apologise to the one man who argues with you.

The ones where you down play and insult people talking about how rape effects its victims and jump on them for talking out it. Trying to shame and scare people away from discussing rape sensibly while you shout and swear and attack them.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast