BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Wait I'm confused...

The mini says this:

DescriptionWEBSTORE EXCLUSIVE
    Only available until midnight (UK time) 1st June 2014

This exclusive plastic miniature can only be purchased by entering the unique promotional code that was supplied with the free ‘Space Marine Captain - limited edition, Web Exclusive’ miniature.

This action-ready Captain with plasma pistol, power fist and banner is the second miniature in the two-part Web Exclusive Collection. This Space Marine Captain will never be available again, so don’t miss out on your only opportunity to add this miniature to your collection.
    So am I correct in assuming this fairly ordinary looking Captain is not only $30, but "exclusive" and only available to the people who got the earlier web-exclusive Captain?
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    So am I correct in assuming this fairly ordinary looking Captain is not only $30, but "exclusive" and only available to the people who got the earlier web-exclusive Captain?
    Seems to be. Although since its just a code, and not tied to the account that ordered the first mini, I'm betting enough people uninterested in buying the second one would be willing to pass out codes to those who actually want to spend $30 for captain with plasma pistol and power fist.

(I must admit, I'd rather have the second one than the first one, just because any captain I make will wear a mark VI helmet and the first one has a stupid high gorget.)

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    That is correct. The first Captain comes with a card 'voucher' of sorts with a promotional code on it. You cannot purchase the second Captain without the code.
    I : IX, I : XIV, II : DCLXVI

Only a two-part collection? I had imagined that they'd do a different free-with-orders-over-£60 model every month...

Brother-Captain

They might well still do that, would be a hell of a good way to try and grab a bigger share of webstore direct orders for themselves away from discount retailers. 1-2 web exclusive models a month done in a "buy One get code to buy the second" manner, and change the models every month or so, yeah I could see that being quite the draw. I almost never order direct from GW and I'm tempted to go in to get both of these figures. They give me a reason to get the couple Thunderfire Cannons I've been wanting for a while now.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    They might well still do that, would be a hell of a good way to try and grab a bigger share of webstore direct orders for themselves away from discount retailers. 1-2 web exclusive models a month done in a "buy One get code to buy the second" manner, and change the models every month or so, yeah I could see that being quite the draw. I almost never order direct from GW and I'm tempted to go in to get both of these figures. They give me a reason to get the couple Thunderfire Cannons I've been wanting for a while now.
    As long as they keep it as single models that aren't characters. Otherwise it'd start to look a bit suspicious... I'd be pretty surprised if they did it every month. That seems like a lot of effort in designing and printing a model just to have the option of getting it gone within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Only a two-part collection? I had imagined that they'd do a different free-with-orders-over-£60 model every month...
    It shocked the heck out of people when some of the IG bundles actually had a bit of a discount (because they know people building IG armies are still going to spend a LOT of money). This is a company that doesn't do many freebies or bundles these days. Back in the 90s, very early 00s, you might expect something like that. Now? Ha. They gave away a free guy with significantly sized orders and tossed a code to those people to buy another guy at full price.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    It shocked the heck out of people when some of the IG bundles actually had a bit of a discount (because they know people building IG armies are still going to spend a LOT of money). This is a company that doesn't do many freebies or bundles these days. Back in the 90s, very early 00s, you might expect something like that. Now? Ha. They gave away a free guy with significantly sized orders and tossed a code to those people to buy another guy at full price.
    Except every army in the last year has had similar deals with similar savings. So those shocked people haven't been paying much attention.

Veteran-Sergeant
    The Phalanx (Royal Berkshire, Great Britain)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asterion View Post
    Except every army in the last year has had similar deals with similar savings. So those shocked people haven't been paying much attention.
    Exactly, ever battalion/battleforce box has a discount (significant in some cases) over the individual kits, it's only the one-click deals that don't.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, these days if there are ones where I want most of the models, rather than spending £20-£40 every couple of weeks I'll wait until the end of the month and buy a battleforce for £75 instead.
    "Give me a hundred Space Marines. Failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

Chaplain

Is it just me or does this model just seem kinda desperate? It doesn't really look special or stand out from a kit bashed captain. It just seems like a not so cheap cash grab. Would it surprise anyone if this model shows up in a blister in a few months after the special deal expires?

I could be a bit biased though. If it had been a limited edition Avatar of Khaine or something more unique, I might have been singing a different tune. The bone singer model from a few years ago was tempting.. but I didn't end up with one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast