BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Is Your Favorite & Least Favorite Horus Heresy Book?

I love the Horus Heresy series and I'm currently listening to "Scars" which is proving to be an very interesting novel. While I listen to the audio books on the way to work I still haven't had time to read all of the books so I decided to ask what people personally consider the best and worst of the Horus Heresy black library series. I thought about doing a poll but there too many options and I'd rather not separate them into two categories based on my own views.

My Favourite - Thousand Sons
    I loved the Thousand Sons in the Horus Heresy artbooks and the novel practically had me jumping into making a pre-heresy army. It does a great job of introducing you to the legion and it's mysterous ways such as their tulary familiars and cults and telling the tale of their downfall with ending with the amazing battle of Tizca. A close 2nd would have to be Angel Exterminatus.

My Least Favourite - Prospero Burns
    With Thousand Sons being my favourite I looked forward to reading the other side of the story, but whilst Thousand Sons also told the story of the 3 remembrancers offering a human perspective to the legion, Prospero Burns focuses purely on the experiences of Kaspar Hauser, who for those who haven't read it isn't a space wolf but is excepted into the legion as a sort of remembrancer. Anyway I wasn't a fan of this single perspective, plus a dream sequence that is repeated thought out the novel got on my nerves.

So of the Horus Heresy Books you've read what is your favourite and least favourite of them all?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

First-Captain

I couldn't name a single favourite book - from a certain level of awesome on upwards it just starts to blur Into that category I'd put, in no particular order, A Thousand Sons, Fear To Tread, Angel Exterminatus and Unremembered Empire.
    "Bad" for me were Know No Fear and Battle for the Abyss - never warmed to those, haven't even re-read the latter once
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Battle for the Abyss, Nemesis and Decent of Angels are all pretty bad books, The Unremembered Empire, Legion, Betrayer are my favourites so far

Nemesis was the book I struggled with the most, but I did enjoy it, just a difficult read. Outcast dead as well, but the audio was one of my favourites.

The best book by far (can't remember the name) is the Loken vs. Abbadon show down, when Tarvitz bites it

Love the Garro series too....Wolf Hunt is great....it's all amazing to be honest...the last few books have been ace, unremembered Empire was awesome....
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

I am a fan of Legion and Mechanicum - also Prospero gets smashed by angry Wolves. Worst so far? Both the Dark Angel ones. Add nothing to the series and are crap stories.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

The worst, that crap dark angel prequel. It really hurt my interest in the dark angles, and made lion Johnson look like an idiot. The only way that story line could possibly redeem itself, is if it comes out that the Lion, is in fact, a traitor and chickened out, then went back and killed of the true believers on Calban. I think that is the general player consensuses anyway.

Legion, Fulgrim, and Mechanicus are my favorites. Totally made me want a pre-heresy army. Vertical integration!

Chapter-Master

I'd have to reread them all, but I think the first dark angels one was definitely poor.
    the wolves thousand sons pair and Scars were reasonably good but I can't think of any standing out tbh

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chaplain

I've enjoyed all the books in the series so far. Within that spectrum of enjoyment, probably Battle for the Abyss could have been a novella, and Descent of Angels was just very confusing after the reasonably linear Books #1-#5.

At the top of the heap I love the Abnett books Legion and Prospero Burns. I also appreciated Angel Exterminatus for the change of pace with Eldar, and the illumination of Perturabo (finally!)

Favorite is Know no Fear. In my top there are also: Betrayer, The First Heretic, Legion, A Thousand Sons and.... Angel Exterminatus? Scars? Fulgrim maybe?

The worst? Nemesis? Battle for the Abyss? Maybe those.... or Fear to Tread, that was definately the biggest let down for me. Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, I guess.
    ‘I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor.’

I liked Betrayer, Angel Exterminatus, Prospero Burns, and Know No Fear

My major dislike: the audiobook (ABRIDGED) versions of Horus Rising, False Gods, and Galaxy in Flames. The series is rendered down to be astartes-only, nearly all of the remembrancer/saint storyline is cut out. Keeler/Oliton/Karkasy are never mentioned, and Sinderman only appears as Loken's "mentor".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast