BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Naming a home-brew chapter of space marines??

Ok, so I am having trouble coming up with a name for a new chapter of space marines...
    I had settled in on "Black Widows" (Adeptus Latrodectus) and was quite happy with it...then my girlfriend pointed out OVER and over that widows are women...so my marines should be female...which we all know is impossible per cannon...and I don't want female marines anyhow.

So, I want something spider related. I have read that there is a little known chapter called the Tarantulas, but really wanna do something new...undone...

Any suggestions/discussion?

Chaplain

Perhaps Widowmakers instead of Black widows? Widowmakers doesn't seem to imply gender.

Wolf Spiders.

You can use the rules for Space Wolves and instead of Thunderwolf Cavalry you can mount them on giant spiders.

Orb Weavers?
    You beat me to it Houghten while I was looking for more alternatives.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

There's also the fact that the 'Black Widows' refers to an elite mercenary company from the Battletech universe. So there's any number of unimaginative people who already copied that name for their own space marine company.

Battle-Brother

Sticking with your original idea, how bout calling them the Black Arachnae? Gives you a bit of pseudo-latin that 40k loves to use. (The Latin word for spider is aranae.)

The Webspinners? Experts in subterfuge and traps?
    No?
    How about a mashup of the latin for 'weaver' which is textor textrix?
    Something like the chapter Textorix? Textorixt?
    Hmm.
    Never enough time to do nothing.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Ssyrie View Post
    There's also the fact that the 'Black Widows' refers to an elite mercenary company from the Battletech universe. So there's any number of unimaginative people who already copied that name for their own space marine company.
    Yes, but Battletech has been dead for nearly 20 years...

In any case, I'm really at a loss for another theme for my marines. I have add all sorts of spiders as pets, including Widows, just kinda want to stick to what I like and know. Might have to step outside the comfort zone a bit.

Thought about aranae...hadn't considered textorix...both pretty cool suggestions.

Was planning to name all characters after species of widow...mactans, bishopi etc...looked at wolf spiders (lycosidae) lot of species there... same with orb weavers though not quite so many... Love the idea of counts as wolf riders...on big *** spiders...(anyone seen the movie?)

Thank you all for input...have to ponder your input for a bit.
    Last edited by Crydon Games; 04-14-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Wolf Spiders.

You can use the rules for Space Wolves and instead of Thunderwolf Cavalry you can mount them on giant spiders.
    Loving that idea! Would WHFB goblin spiders be the right scale? I considered converting Sarpedon from the soul drinkers with the smaller ones.
    Never enough time to do nothing.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Rory Wildwards View Post
    Loving that idea! Would WHFB goblin spiders be the right scale? I considered converting Sarpedon from the soul drinkers with the smaller ones.
    Think marines would look a bit big on those spiders...maybe the one goblin HQ type of spider...but its unattractive.

I own 4 Arachnaroks...should just bite the size bullet and put them on those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast