BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Melee LOS rules

Default Melee LOS rules

Okay, I have been getting confused on LOS rules for melee. Main point being my reach infantry models. Example, my bane knights charge in, and I want to get as many of them to attack as possible. My thinking is I charge in with the front ones closer than reach allows, and leave half inch gaps between each one. Then charge in with more, filling in the gaps with more banes to attack. A buddy of mine tells me I can't attack through the half inch gap because there's intervening models. I can not find anywhere in the rules that says an intervening model stops another model from attacking. All I've found is that as long as you can draw a line from one model to another, you can attack.

Would someone please reply? There's over 40 views and no response?

In melee or ranged as long as you can see a sliver of the base you can see the target. Melee doesn't prevent seeing across the battlefield. You can shoot or melee through it. If the target is a larger base than you. You can see it regardless of completely intervening bases of lesser size. Only rules that mitigate this are tall in the saddle, tactician, ranked attacks, and martial discipline. All these rules still making what you did correct. Melee and then line of sight on the Warroom app reference is all you need to have him read

If a guy cannot find the rule in the rule book he will normally be wrong.

Librarian

Sure, you can't attack through intervening models (depending on the base sizes involved) but you absolutely can attack through the spaces between them- even if they're tiny.

As Poseidon said, as long as there is a sliver that doesn't go through another model, you can attack- and you can draw that sliver through any part of the attacker and target's bases.

The rules in Warmachine have very deliberate language, so it is usually very easy to tell how something is played when you find the rules in question.

www.GardenNinja.com

That is a good way to get all of your knights into combat. it can be the tiniest space possible but as long as there is some space it counts

Excellent tactic. Your buddy is wrong.

your buddy is wrong. If you can reach and you can see the target, you can attack them. Many a times I'll line up somebody with reach behind somebody without reach and make sure a bit of my base can see the target behind them and away I go.