BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Base size??

Yup.

Base size is important.

The larger the base, the more models can engage it in HTH. Using a smaller base can make it harder to properly swamp some units.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Base size also has important effects on blast markers and deep striking (where applicable). Not to mention the fact that size of the model is terribly important (for LoS/cover) so, if your reason for wanting a larger base is that you're using a larger model, that's a whole can of worms in itself.

But, as noted, the actual rule on bases is pretty loose. Going by the rule in the book, it's actually illegal for me to re-base my old metal Terminators on 40mm bases, because the rule says they must be on the bases the came with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Godin View Post
    Only by Rule of Cool.
    You have a decorative, well painted base, but it is too big - Rule of Cool says yes.
    You have a plain black GW base that is too big - No, that is modeling for an advantage.
    I run my XV-8 Crisis suits on 50mm bases now instead of 40mm. They aren't nicely decorated or super well painted (glued sand painted brown), It's not modelled for rules advantage though, it's because 50mm bases give a lot more room to pose crisis suits, letting them have more dynamic poses without tipping over, or wider stances without feet going off the edges.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post
    Base size also has important effects on blast markers and deep striking (where applicable). Not to mention the fact that size of the model is terribly important (for LoS/cover) so, if your reason for wanting a larger base is that you're using a larger model, that's a whole can of worms in itself.

But, as noted, the actual rule on bases is pretty loose. Going by the rule in the book, it's actually illegal for me to re-base my old metal Terminators on 40mm bases, because the rule says they must be on the bases the came with.
    Personally my reasons for changing bases were two-fold, one to standardize my wraithgaurd/Terms/Warriors/etc but also because back in the day, game boards were many times, flat as all hell, nowadays with a realm of battle in every room or the crazy homemade makings of terrain freekazoids its not as eas to find all those flat surfaces for your pewter model to sit comfortably on with such a small base. good example would be old CSM terms with autocannons, yikes, lil a-holes used to fall everywhere all the time

Occuli Imperator

I best hide my old rhino chassis tanks...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I best hide my old rhino chassis tanks...
    Well that is easy enough, just put them behind new Rhino Chassis tanks, you won't see them

Battle-Brother

I remember and understand why they standardized them...my question is, if I challenged you to a "fun" game and un-boxed a set of 3-4 "thunderwolf cav" that were actually araknarok spiders w/marines on top...base size equal to trygon bases...would you play or assume that I was re-basing for my own game?

I'd certainly play.

Occuli Imperator

Rule #1.

If it looks cool, do it.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

"I run my XV-8 Crisis suits on 50mm bases now instead of 40mm. They aren't nicely decorated or super well painted (glued sand painted brown), It's not modelled for rules advantage though, it's because 50mm bases give a lot more room to pose crisis suits, letting them have more dynamic poses without tipping over, or wider stances without feet going off the edges."

this ^

i have zagstruk on an 80mm base as he is very 'top heavy' ; the 40mm base is 'inserted' actually back of centre for extra stability but can easily be visually measured to if someone gets picky.

the venothropes are also very easily overbalanced so we have them mounted on top of clear skimmer bases, this gives a clear visual on the 'real' base edge but has stopped the headless model syndrome that used to occur by the end of turn two.

the real problem is that GW has made its models bigger over the years but is stuck with archaic base sizes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast