BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Sons of Horus Praetor (WIP)

I've just started working on one of the awesome Forge World Praetor sculpts. Since they just released Horus I thought I'd paint this guy in the Sons of Horus color scheme. It'll be good practice for when the Warmaster finally arrives. Not a whole lot done so far, just a few hours of painting the last two nights.

I'm working on the head separately, it's hard to paint around that neck armor. I still need to finish the implants and service studs before I'm ready to permanently attach it to the body. I've left the arms off as well so I have easier access to some of the details on the main body.

I hope you like where I'm headed with this figure. I'll post more updates as he gets further along.

Librarian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awesome_sauce_by_tdogg78-d3j9upv.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	8244
    that is all

Occuli Imperator

That head alone is spectacular.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Battle-Brother

Thanks, guys. Well, I finished up the rest of the head and I'm slowly making progress on the armor. At first I was tempted to go with the sea green style armor for the Sons of Horus. But after some more thought a Justaerin color scheme makes more sense. So the armor will be mostly black with some red. What do you think?

Brother-Sergeant

Can you go though the process of your blacks please? They look so rich on the leg and chest.
    Cera cito.

Battle-Brother

I'm still working on the armor, been updating the black sections.

Black is a color I've had trouble with. I'm still experimenting with my mixes. This time I wanted to try more of a blue-black. Although I took a bit of inspiration from the regular Sons of Horus uniforms and substituted a verdigris color for my blue. I worked in several layers up to about a 3 parts black to 1 part blue-green mix (that's just a rough estimate, enough so it's a medium blue-grey color). Then I switched over and started mixing in a skin tone to create my highlights. Again, stopping around a 3 parts black/blue-green to 1 part skin. Maybe 2 to 1.
    Name:  x09037_G.thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ASC76xeyIz.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  1.3 KBName:  x09077_G.thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6sS5LG0vzz.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  1.3 KBName:  x09044_G.thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Ge42yYSn44.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  1.3 KB

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks that's really helpful. I'll try this recipe on some Iron Hands soon.
    Cera cito.

Battle-Brother

So I'm continuing on with the Praetor's armor. Overall I'm really happy with how the black has turned out. The red leather strips still need a lot of work, but I think seeing that little bit of color there helps.

Also a mini announcement, I've started up an official blog. It's a nice way to keep all of my projects, tutorials, and other posts in one place. You'll see a lot of the same pictures, but hopefully the descriptions will go into more detail. You can also check out the tutorials section
    [url]http://powellminipainting.blogspot.com/[/url]

That is some amazing layering you've got there. The details in the face are stunning!