BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Contemptors for the Blood Angels?

Looking at IA: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, I only see that the Dark Angels and Codex Space Marines can take Contemptors, but everyone tells me that Blood Angels can take them as well. Additionally, I was given to believe that Furioso Contemptor Dreadnoughts were a thing, but I don't see any indication of them in the book. Can anyone direct me to the rules I'm looking for?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

IA: Apocalypse 2013

That has the latest rules for all kinds of Contemptor.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post

except for the Codex and Dark Angels (who don't get their own) that have been covered in IA2, yes. Don't worry EP, the book just only contains vanilla marine stuff, nothing Chapter specific - doesn't mean it doesn't still exist! My Space Wolf Contemptor would be might pissed at that...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post

Tanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    except for the Codex and Dark Angels (who don't get their own) that have been covered in IA2, yes. Don't worry EP, the book just only contains vanilla marine stuff, nothing Chapter specific - doesn't mean it doesn't still exist! My Space Wolf Contemptor would be might pissed at that...
    Well, yes, but IA22e does note that some things, like the fellblade, can be taken by all chapters, so it's not that clear. I'm glad I had you all to straighten it out for me.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Well, yes, but IA22e does note that some things, like the fellblade, can be taken by all chapters, so it's not that clear. I'm glad I had you all to straighten it out for me.
    that's true, but those are not chapter-specific variants, they are the same for all. Just like the Dark Angels are noted in the vanilla Contemptor entry because they can take them for lack of their own variant.
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

So, while I've got your attention... the Blood Angels contemptor entry says that it can for 10 or 15 points "exchange its built in storm bolters with one of the following options." Does this mean that one points expenditure replaces both storm bolters, and that both weapons must match? That's my reading, but I want to be sure.

Reading the stats, I was initially underwhelmed... but then I saw that it's not that much more expensive than a standard furioso, and it benefits from higher Strength (which makes Blood Talons a very attractive option, since Strength 7 is enough to pop the back armor of almost any tank). Plus, Fleet and Atomantic Shielding are both awesome special rules for a dreadnought to enjoy.

Brother-Captain

It means a one-to-one basis. Otherwise if you took a big gun on one arm and replaced the Storm Bolter with a Meltagun you would be paying the cost of two and only getting one. Also it specifies 'each' after the cost, so that must be the case.

Fleet and Atomantic Shielding are very nice, and if it Red Thirsts it's S8 on the charge which would be great with Blood Talons. I wouldn't like the idea of only being AP3 though, so I'm still not sure it's worth swapping out the fists. Amazing for killing anything with 3+ armour (which covers a lot of Monstrous Creatures) but suddenly stopped by anything with 2+ like a Dreadknight, Riptide etc.

First-Captain

it does feel rather weird that the Space Wolf Contemptor just gets two bonus attacks more or less for free... I mean with two DCCW and Saga of the Black Cull those guys come with 7 attacks on the (fleet) charge, at WS5 S10 AP2 that's bound to turn/mulch some heads...

Chapter-Master

My habit with dreadnoughts is to run them riding in my stormraven alongside either a tac squad plus a bolter priest (for midgame objective grabbing) or a bunch of hammernators, a combat captain, and an chainsword priest (for deathstar deliciousness). In the former case, I'm using it as a bully anyway, so I equip it with claws and dive it into combat with some backfield shooting unit that I want dead while the tacs light up the scoring unit they plan to replace. In the latter case, I've got thunder hammer to take care of my 2+ armor needs, so I usually give it claws anyway.

And of course, I always have a priest nearby so I can guarantee that Strength 8 on the charge. Always spam priests. Always.

Honestly, with a native Strength of 7, the claws are a much more attractive option than the fists. Fists only get you three more points of Strength (two on the charge) which is kind of sad, while the claws allow you to deal a truly awful number of wounds to infantry. I had an ordinary furioso dreadnought once kill about twelve guys on the charge: one from the meltagun, four from the heavy flamer, and then seven more in combat. He killed so many guardsman that I actually had to look up that rule that says that if you slaughter all the enemy models within X'' you are considered removed from combat!

Of course, that's why I lost that game... there were still a few guardsmen left, and they were still on the objective, so...

Anyway, the point is that I'm pretty comfortable with the claws and the fists... though model wise I got the claw hands, and if I decide to run the fists, I'll just tell my opponent "for today these are fists, not claws." Because they look way cooler.