BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Infantry Platoons.. Rules changed?

Okay, in the old codex IG, an infantry platoon was counted as pretty much a single unit for all intents and purposes, whether it blobbed or not. So if you kept it in reserve you made a single roll and brought the whole platoon in at the same time.
    However, it no longer makes that stipulation in Codex AM, it just states that if you choose to combine squads the new larger squad counts as a single unit from that moment on, and must be done before generating warlord traits; but it makes no mention of how a platoon may arrive from reserves; so do I assume from that (until GW FAQ if they do otherwise) that I roll for each squad now? It would make sense otherwise you could not have a squad in a Valk with 2 others on foot unless you can treat each as an individual unit.

So what say you guys? Single unit? or just there to be broken up like Marines can with their combat squads? Well, not exactly like that but you get my drift.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Chaplain

Since they're taken as a single choice in the Force Organization I would say they still count as a single unit for Reserve rolls. But that's just my opinion about it.

Banned

Nope, separate unit is separate unit. The Reserve rules don't talk about FOC choices, just units. A PCS and 2 IfS would need to take separate Reserve Rolls unless mounted in the same Super-Heavy Transport, as they are (at a minimum) 2+ separate units.

Chaplain

Charistoph is correct the Reserve rules are unit based and special rules are provided to permit multiple units to arrive at the same time, absent a special rule permitting multiple units in an Infantry platoon to arrive together they would each roll to arrive separately.

Tempestus handled this via special rules for their formation Dataslates permitting all the units in the formation to arrive the same turn for example.

The rules for Reserves of course also permit units in reserve to embark upon Transports or be joined by Independent characters and all arrive at the same time., though once grouped together in reserves they are not allowed to separate or disembark until they arrive from reserves.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-18-2014 at 06:26 PM.

From general consensus then I am reading it right at least, I think that's an improvement myself. It can get a bit crowded especially in a city fight with guard board edges.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Veteran-Sergeant

If you put a 25 man platoon of PCS + 2x10 squad (not blobbed) in a squadron of 3 Valkyries then you only roll for reserves once (for the flyers).

Data-slates may be another way if any get released in future.

Brother-Captain

I wonder if questions like this one will turn up in a new FAQ. Also, am I the only one that's pissed that we can no longer upgrade or purchase a single commissar for each Infantry Squad?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    I wonder if questions like this one will turn up in a new FAQ. Also, am I the only one that's pissed that we can no longer upgrade or purchase a single commissar for each Infantry Squad?
    Only because you are opposed to blobbing them

You can always snag some Independent Character Commisars from Militarum Tempestus though being allied presents issues for transporting together.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-19-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Only because you are opposed to blobbing them

You can always snag some Independent Character Commisars from Militarum Tempestus though being allied presents issues for transporting together.
    Whaaat? I've never been opposed to blobbing. But I do remember fondly the one time I took five separate infantry squads all in their own Chimeras and outflanked with them with Al'rahem. The look on my friend's face was priceless.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chaplain

My bad you were only opposed to putting Heavy Weapons in the infantry squads, I just normally blob my Infantry squads with Heavies so got a bit confused there for a sec.

Yeah buying 3 more Armored Fists is on my to do list I want to run 2 30 man mixed Heavy Weapon infantry blobs with a couple of supporting special weapon teams and a 3rd platoon as a mechanized platoon.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-19-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast