BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Blood Angels tanks useless in the 6th?

Hi,

Today my friend made a test/fun-to-play -list, with loads of BA -vehicles. He had a Vindicator and two Baal Predators and two other Predators. Corbulo with the dudes (Veterans?) with the different selection of bolter rounds in a pod. Dante as HQ with the Dante-Bomb and a Biker squad with priest...Assault Jump pack -squad and a priest...well, loads of FNP´s to piss me off ...

I had as Eldar, Eldrad, Farseer on bike + 4 x Jetbike + 2 x Bikes (Cannons). 9x Scorpions + Exarch (Claw,Crushing Blow). 2 x 9 x DA´s + Exarch (Shield + Powersword) in a Wave Serpent (tlBL + Holo). 2 x 3 x WW´s (bl-bl), Wraithknight (stock). 5 x Spiders and 6 x Spiders and a Crimson Hunter with Exarch.

It seemed a match for the BA, they had the first and WK was down to 3 wounds...but...little by little the tide changed and i even mishapped (threw a 1!) the 6 Spiders...but the situation in the bottom of the fifth was, that he had just the Drop pod with 2 HP´s and on the 6th, the Scorpion Exarch wrecked it...

The point we discussed was, that in the 6th edition, the "tanks" are almost useless. The amount of Ignore Cover shots and the system of single hit destroying your 3-4 HP vehicle is rendering them as an ornament on your mantle (or shelf more likely...). Normally he tends to kick my *** with Mephiston and some Assault Troops with Jump packs, fliers, drop pods + Dreds, Melta Veterans wrecking my Wave Serpents, you catch my drift...

Do you use ANY of your armored vehicles anymore? If you do, what kind and for what purposes?

Still grinning after winning, but asking was it too easy,

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Vyper View Post
    Hi,

Do you use ANY of your armored vehicles anymore? If you do, what kind and for what purposes?

- Lost Vyper

This is a dice game, so yes you did smash your buddy I tend to smash on my gaming buddy from time to time as well but sometimes he smashes me. I find Razorbacks and Rhinos still very useful and I play Vanilla marines.

Rhinos and Razorbacks are still great transports. They can both pop smoke and even if their cover save is ignored I would rather have a transport get popped then loose half a squad to shooting while on foot.

I think the old idea of the rhino/razor/vindi rush which Blood Angels were good at doing just isn't as viable now or at least until we see a new dex.

Transports now are what they always should have been transports sometimes in the case of the Razor they have the added bonus of being support.

I tend to use my Razors as more of a support role with a camped tac squad. The extra heavy bolter shots help a ton and make the objective harder to take. If I have to I can combat squad and hide half of the squad behind the Razor as a bunker of sorts.

That's at least my take on how I use my armor now.

Occuli Imperator

BAs fast vehicles are great I think. I tend to use Vindicators and Baal Predators, the baals being fast and outflanking can cause merry hell with the infantry in the enemy deployment zone, the vindis just because every one loves S10 large blasts
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I'm curious what version of 40K you played where antitank weapons couldn't destroy a vehicle in one shot with good dice rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Garradh View Post
    I'm curious what version of 40K you played where antitank weapons couldn't destroy a vehicle in one shot with good dice rolls.
    The other way round... antitank could always kill vehicles in one shot but you had no hullpoints. So If you penetrate for the 20th time and still just get "crew shaken" the tank seemed to live forever. This was especially annoying with a holofield falcon (2d6 on damage table, you decide which one you take) with spirit stones (can ignore shaken and stunned) flying fast (only glancing hits allowed) which was near invincible.

Yep, could shoot Rhinos so full of holes that the infantry inside started to lose their cover save . . . and it was a terrible rule system.

Chapter-Master

I have found that Blood Angels tanks can be very useful, especially the ones that are balanced around short range. Blood Angels Baal predators and vindicators can be devastating in the right hands.

There are two things to remember:

1) You need to back up your tanks with infantry. As good as they are, they won't win the game by themselves. Your buddy made the mistake of bringing too many tanks and not enough boots, which is a mistake that you can make with any codex.

2) The Blood Angels codex is old and funky, filled with overcosted units and things that don't work quite right. The Eldar codex is brand new and arguably one of the strongest codices around right now. I'm not surprised that the tide turned.

I've never regretted bringing tanks along with my Blood Angels... as long as the rest of my list is well designed, that is.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

When I play BA it's with 3 Dakka Preds, 3 Dakka Baal Preds and 3 Winged Furioso Librarian Dreadnoughts (Jump Troops). It's no longer a Rhino/Razor Rush but instead 27 HP in an AV13 wall of Bullets and flying AV13 Dreadnoughts!

Curious - In the vacuum of Theory Hammer, how would 3 Furioso Librarians fare against Seerstar? 12 inch Wings of Sanguinious Jump, followed by a 2d6 charge. Or 6" move and Hammer of Wrath at Initiative 10.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

In the vacuum of theory hammer the seerstar would rip the Furiosos.
    First of all you face 10 S9 rerollable overwatch shots (which kills/cripples probably one cybot before they reach them).
    The hammer of wrath is getting absorbed by a 2+ rerollable armor save.
    The main attacks from the Furioso come at the same time as 20 rerollable armorbane attacks (which could possibly kill another cybot) while you have to deal with rerollable 4++

Ad in case the eldar player is not too confident in fighting the cybots, he has so much more movement that you will never ever catch him if he doesnt allow it (which probably means that he will throw even more spears at you)

Chapter-Master

You beat someone while playing eldar. Don't get too cocky.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast