BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Feel I have to:
    Farseer, it would be nice to be able to run an army that doesn't rely heavily on psychic powers.

Wish I could:
    Howling Banshees. I love them, they are the worst unit in the codex.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Howling Banshees. I love them, they are the worst unit in the codex.
    I was wondering how plausible it would be to pair them up with a Phantasm Grenade Launcher equipped DE character; a Succubus say, or Archon, in order ot mitigate the HB's only real issue which is the lack of Assault Grenades. You could run a very small, fluffy DE allies section; a single squad of Wychs, who are your 'Banshees in training', or possibly convert some Storm Guardians to be 'retired Banshees' who use the Wych statline but not the esoteric weaponry to show they're Eldar really (ignoring the Splinter Pistols, obviously). Then just have the DE HQ as your 'Banshee Exarch'.

Essentially, convert your DE to look Eldar, and just use the rules.

Would that not work?
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chaplain

Sadly the penalty for charging thru difficult terrain is applied model by model so can't fix what hurts their viability. Little too overpriced in comparison to better options.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Shoota Boyz and Lootas. It's not that I dislike them particularly, it's that an Ork army trying to be an assault army isn't competitive right now thanks to a combination of the current codex and 6th edition being assault unfriendly. My preference is to get in close and bash things, but you can't do that so well at the moment.
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 04-23-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Chaplain

For my Chaos, I wish I could replace sergeants with aspiring sorcerors since I play Thousand Sons/Tzeentch lists.

I feel like I'm forced into taking either flyers or obliterators. The obliterator models just don't match the rest of my army since they are the only non demon/demon engine models that have any skin showing. Everything else is modeled as if it's an empty suit of army.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    I was wondering how plausible it would be to pair them up with a Phantasm Grenade Launcher equipped DE character; a Succubus say, or Archon, in order ot mitigate the HB's only real issue which is the lack of Assault Grenades.
    Awesome idea and theme, the problem isn't just the lack of grenades though. As much or more it's that Banshees either have to slog across the board with their T3 and 4+ save, or they have to hop out of a Serpent/Falcon and wait for a turn before they can assault. They're just too fragile to withstand the fire they're sure to receive before making it to combat, and once they actually get there they don't even have that great of a bite. I'd say the real fix for them would be either to give Eldar a WWP equivalent you can assault from, or change the Acrobatic rule to allow them to assault out of a transport (even if it has to remain stationary that turn, like in 5th ed).

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Atog View Post
    The obliterator models just don't match the rest of my army since they are the only non demon/demon engine models that have any skin showing
    My codex is at home, so I *might* be wrong on this, but weren't Obliterators given the Daemon rule, making them similar to Possessed in that they're daemon-infused creatures?

I like the idea of your theme, but since Obliterators were their own cults and there might not have been specifically Thousand Sons Obliterators, they can work without being empty suits of armor. That whole bodies-turned-to-dust thing only happened to the basic units of the Thousand Sons, not even their Sorcerors, and not any other Tzeentch worshiping Chaos Marines.

If it still bothers you, though, you could get a box of Chaos Terminators, then collect spare weapons, and model those weapons on in place of standard arms, making your own Thousand Sons Obliterators that way.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I like the idea of your theme, but since Obliterators were their own cults and there might not have been specifically Thousand Sons Obliterators, they can work without being empty suits of armor. That whole bodies-turned-to-dust thing only happened to the basic units of the Thousand Sons, not even their Sorcerors, and not any other Tzeentch worshiping Chaos Marines.
    True, but I just like the idea of the whole army being dust and the only sentient models being the Lord of Change and her lesser demons. Even my cultists are dust since I used Tomb Kings models

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    If it still bothers you, though, you could get a box of Chaos Terminators, then collect spare weapons, and model those weapons on in place of standard arms, making your own Thousand Sons Obliterators that way.
    That is my plan except I'm using centurions instead of termies. They looked like they would be a little easier to convert and they already have a bunch of heavy weapons on the sprue. Just got to file off all those silly insignas.

My FW daemon lord of nurgle i use him as a great unclean one :P
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Veteran-Sergeant
    The Phalanx (Royal Berkshire, Great Britain)

I never leave home without 3 tactical squads, 4 if more than 1500. Usually a pair of vindicators and some AA. And always my faithful Hammernators.
    "Give me a hundred Space Marines. Failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast