BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Feel I have to/Wish I could...

Simple enough:

For your armies which unit do you dislike but feel you have to include because of competitiveness, and which do you wish you could, but leave out because it's just a waste of points?

Auto-includes I personally dislike are Tactical Squads (I think entirely because familiarity breeds contempt).

Stuff I leave out but wish I could use tended to be Honour Guard squads and Ogryns (although the times they are a'changin'...). Grotesques are still a bit on the weak side. Well, not weak so much as overcosted. Servitors too.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

I used to dislike including tactical squads and death company in my Blood Angels army, but I've gotten over it. The former seemed bland and generic, but then I traded away my Exorcists, and now I don't care so much, and actually it's kind of fun to mix "codex standard" and "balls out assault!" in my lists. The latter... it used to bother me to pay for a fixed number of death company marines, because isn't the Black Rage an unreliable phenomenon? I missed out on the days of random death company generation - before my time - and kind of hope we go back to that in the next 'dex. Like I said, though, I'm pretty much over it on both counts.

As far as units I wish I could include, but don't, it's all about the sanguinary guard. They're so cool! The models, the background, they're awesome! They're also... not really good enough to beat out terminators .
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I wish Warp talons would be worth it for my Chaos marine army.

I like the models but the pointscost cannot make me consider them. And for some effectiveness, add in a mark and they're even more expensive. Chances are they'll be wittled down by overwatch and their overall way for delivery (either moving as jump infantry or have them sit around for a turn after deepstriking) just makes them not worth it. There are some other fast attack slots they have to compete with as well *cough*heldrake*cough*.
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

First-Captain

Eldar HQs, mainly... hard to leave the house without a Farseer, and I've grown very fond of my Solitarch (plus I tend to use quite a lot of reserves so his ability to modify rolls is very useful). But that's the HQ slots gone - and I'd love to include my Avatar, Illyrith and/or a Spiritseer(only way I'll ever use Wraithfantry is as troops - just too expensive otherwise because a WS is more or less required as well to get them anywhere without being shot to bits) from time to time... gotta get my mates to play 2000pts+ for double ForceOrg I guess...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

It's not so much in-codex, but I feel that with most of the older Codices that no longer match up in firepower (BA, SW, CSM), I have to either add in an allied Tau squad with Broadsides, or a SM squad with Centurions, in order to have a source of serious firepower. The newer Codices pretty much all have some source of really efficient firepower, and while overall the older Codices are fine, they lack that high-efficiency firepower that frees up points.

What I wish I could include competitively is Helbrutes, though the Helcult formation may change that.

Chapter-Master

Auto includes for me is a 30 man cultist blob for my Chaos with a fearless Warlord. I would prefer to have more MEQ but feh. I dislike not having much variation in fast attack competitively - ie what the hell is as good as a Drake?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Librarian

I hate having to include Lootas, no matter what the theme of the list is (IE Speed Freakz) I always have to include a squad or two of lootas as a long range firepower requirement for the local meta.

First-Captain

Now for me it's not a case of what I must take but what I dislike, I really hate those centurions, seriously they just look wrong, the designer in White Dwarf when asked about where the space marine piloting them puts his arms lazly replied they are crossed in fornt of them....

Seriously WTF was he thinking of, in real life nobody could keep their arms crossed for the period of time they would have to be when in one of those suits, to me it just reaked of sloppy design....

So because of that poor choice while designing them I just won't buy that model at all.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

I hate the Helturkey with passion but sadly its an auto-include.
    I really would like to make Thousand Sons or Dark Apostles work...

Farseer is also an auto include for me which feels just overused but he is so much better than all other HQs.
    Vypers are always tempting but sadly way too fragile and too expensive.

Dark Eldar is a hard one as there are only a few units that actually work. I think I dont have an auto include which feels annoying (maybe ravagers as they are far superior in the heavy support slot) but there are plenty of models I would love to get working... like Mandrakes.

oh my the list is endless.

a sign of excellent internal balancing and extensive play-testing as well as precision laser guided rules writing with absolutely no interest in bottom line.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast