BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Vypers are always tempting but sadly way too fragile and too expensive.
    right that's another one - Vypers are a very strong case of why the heck would you ever... first, there's War Walkers, with more firepower (probably...) and at least as good survivability, and mobility isn't bad either (with Battle Focus immensely helping the latter two). And it gets even more ridiculous when you look at Hornets...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Battle-Brother

Not sure if I am following the format completely, but I wish I did not feel I had to take the super "star" type units that seem to dominate 6th edition. I wish I could just field 6 tactical squads and 3 squads of devastators/jump marines w/out criticism. On paper, it looks like spam, but is exceptionally fluffy for vanilla marines and makes so much logistical sense. Flamer/Rocket launcher tac marines is what the bulk of a marine army (per codex Astartes) should be. You just catch so much hell for it online.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Chapter-Master

For my Sisters of Battle...

I literally have to field battle sister squads because we have no other Troops options. I don't mind that much, because battle sister squads are pretty good, but I wish I had some options.

I wish I could field seraphim, but they don't seem good enough (and the models are expensive and I don't have any).
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

For my Nids, I really, really wish that warriors were better. They're not bad, but they aren't worth their points.
    The Tervigon is less of an auto-include than it used to be, but I'm still not a fan. A frenzied Tervigon that pooped hormagaunts would be awesome though.

For the Grey Knights, I just wish I could make a Paladin army without Draigo.

Veteran-Sergeant

The new IG codex makes it worth while to me field one of my favourite mini's, it's the one in the centre.

Got it the UK Golden Daemon in about '94, it's from the Skullz AdMech collection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tdpam2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	8361

Thanks to [URL="http://www.solegends.com/citrare/citadeptmech.htm"]solegends.com[/URL] for the image.

Librarian

I dislike having to take...
    -Heldrakes, Plague Marines, Cultists, Daemon Princes, Obliterators...

And I wish I could take...
    -Thousand Sons, Possessed, Warp Talons, Chaos Marines, Defilers...

Chapter-Master

Wish I could use;

Possessed and Mutilators. And the Dark Eldar codex (seriously, an army that relies on cover in addition that everyone has ignore cover?)

Hate that I use;

Wave Serpents. Now they're spammy awesome guns not transports.
    Buffamnder (Tau Commander with no guns, but the ignore cover upgrade and Engram chip)
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I will preface this by saying that I take whatever I feel like which is usually what I think looks coolest or fits with my army's theme, but in the spirit of the thread I'll say what units I feel are most powerful and which units I feel aren't powerful enough.

Orks

Powerful or "must include" units.

Lootas: They are great for a lot of reason, most of which everyone should know by now. I don't think they really fit with say, a goff or especially snakebite sort of list but if you don't take at least one big unit of these guys you're really shooting yourself in the foot. There's no subsitute for credible ranged threat in the rest of the army really.

Shoota Boyz: Man, it would be nice if I could legitimately field some slugga boyz once in a while and not feel like I've gimped myself for flavor's sake.

Underpowered units

Flash Gitz: I'm pretty sure the majority of ork players are hoping that these guys are made even remotely playable in the 6th edition update. Right now they basically pay a lot of points to get shot at.

Really that's the only ork unit I can think of that's completely pants on head awful. Tank bustas could probably use a buff too, maybe some way to make their rokkit launchas assault 2 at the cost of maybe gets hot.

Chaos Space Marines

The standard units really, Drakes, Obliterators (especially the current, hideous models) Cultists and Nurgle Marks are probably too good in comparison to the alternatives.

Likewise the units I'd love to be better are Warp Claws (seriously, just give them assault grenades and call the job a good one) Thousand Sons (a straight points decrease might help, making the aspiring sorcerer optional might also be good, giving them some sort of weapon option, even heavy bolters. Or maybe making their shots ap2 even, something to justify their existence.) Berserkers (just because I really feel like they should be the pinnacle of close combat units and they don't even have access to power weapons.) Mutilators (I don't know, give them fleet somehow? Maybe a bigger max squad size.) Land Raiders (can we get one variant, just one?) Helbrutes (the random chart is unnecessary, just make it a straight rage buff on a certain roll and get rid of the restrictive results.) Possessed (just decrease the cost a bit really, you could even nerf their strength back down to 4 as a tradeoff as long as they keep furious charge.) Chosen (seriously, can we get fearless? I don't think Chaos need fearless on every unit mind you, but I think chosen at least deserve an option that can't be sniped out of the unit on a lucky roll.)

"Orks

Powerful or "must include" units.

Lootas: They are great for a lot of reason, most of which everyone should know by now. I don't think they really fit with say, a goff or especially snakebite sort of list but if you don't take at least one big unit of these guys you're really shooting yourself in the foot. There's no subsitute for credible ranged threat in the rest of the army really.

Shoota Boyz: Man, it would be nice if I could legitimately field some slugga boyz once in a while and not feel like I've gimped myself for flavor's sake.

Underpowered units

Flash Gitz: I'm pretty sure the majority of ork players are hoping that these guys are made even remotely playable in the 6th edition update. Right now they basically pay a lot of points to get shot at.

Really that's the only ork unit I can think of that's completely pants on head awful. Tank bustas could probably use a buff too, maybe some way to make their rokkit launchas assault 2 at the cost of maybe gets hot. " quote from above poster ^.

the removal of a pretty much universal 4+ cover save made a hole in the ork codex that the new one [!?] might fix: although other codexes suffer the same problem, there is lots of AP 2-3-4 shooting out there now and with overwatch and 'random charge' the 30 orc blob is no longer reliably getting into melee.

the opportunity to 'buy' looted armour for some or all ork units would be great; cyborg armour at 5 pts or heavy at 4pts [on 1 unit only] is not enough to balance out the 6th firepower. as the above poster points out tankbustas are about 'busted' with only a 6+ armour save.

imo though the most useless units in the ork codex [due to 6th] are trukks and looted waggons.

Quote Originally Posted by Crydon Games View Post
    Not sure if I am following the format completely, but I wish I did not feel I had to take the super "star" type units that seem to dominate 6th edition. I wish I could just field 6 tactical squads and 3 squads of devastators/jump marines w/out criticism. On paper, it looks like spam, but is exceptionally fluffy for vanilla marines and makes so much logistical sense. Flamer/Rocket launcher tac marines is what the bulk of a marine army (per codex Astartes) should be. You just catch so much hell for it online.
    Agreed; I think there should be a higher "Troop" requirement. I know most people don't like playing with pawns and would rather have queens, bishops, knights and rooks.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast