BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Ordering a Paradox

What happens when I order a squad of guardsmen to 'Take Aim!' or 'Smite at Will!' or 'First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire!' or basically any of the Astra Militarum orders that specifically state, "The ordered unit must make a shooting attack." but no enemy units are visible?

The main rule book, on page 12, tells us "to target an enemy unit, at least one model must have line of sight (see page 8) to at least one model in the target unit. If no models have line of sight, then a different target must be chosen.

the shooting attack fails, and you move on.

Battle-Brother

Why would you give such an order to a unit that has no target?
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Battle-Brother

Because there could be invisible Tau Stealth suits in that field soldier! And the resources of the imperium are such that wasting the ammo from first rank second rank are inconsequential?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    the shooting attack fails, and you move on.

I thought the same, but when I check the BRB that didn't seem to be an option. The step you are thinking of is where you would check to see if the weapons are in range. If none of the models are in range then the shooting attack does indeed fail, like you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Crydon Games View Post
    Why would you give such an order to a unit that has no target?

Seems irrelevant for answering the question but say I devote two units to destroy one of my opponents units. The first unit is incredible lucky and completely wipes out my opponents unit. The second unit which was ordered to 'First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire!' now has no target.

Isn't it so that with the new "you can always measure" rules it would in the end come to that the order is invalid?

Ofcourse why it would be so, depends on the scenario that the OP does not describe.

- If it was that the enemy was just out of range (for the lack of measuring or at the time of shooting there would be an argument if the unit taking fire was indeed out of the range and as a result of 4+ deciding roll, it indeed was out of range), then the shooting action is not allowed in the first place (and i would go as far saying that the unit was not eligible for that type of order).
    - If it was for some other case then it would need to be more specified.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    Seems irrelevant for answering the question but say I devote two units to destroy one of my opponents units. The first unit is incredible lucky and completely wipes out my opponents unit. The second unit which was ordered to 'First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire!' now has no target.
    Can't do that. Each order is resolved before you are allowed to issue another order.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Can't do that. Each order is resolved before you are allowed to issue another order.

I'm not sure where it says that, could you reference where you found that?

Battle-Brother

The question had nothing to do with range. The question specifically stated that no enemy unit is visible. So again I ask, why would you issue a shooting order to a unit that can see no enemy? Is there some advantage that I am not aware of to issuing a nonsense order?
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Also, don't you have to resolve each Shooting Attack before you can target another as well? Sounds like you're a bad strategist, not that it is a bad rule.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast