BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Astra Militarum 1850pt competitive list- need critique

Hi all,

So I finally received my codex this week after a long wait. I have put together what to me seems like a relatively competitive balanced army. But again, this is the first list that I have put together, so critique is what I need right now:

HQ
    Company Command Squad 85pts
    1x Company Commander, 4x Veterans, Master of Ordnance, Vox Caster

Knight Commander Pask 505pts
    Pask's Vanquisher w/ Hull Lascannon
    Leman Russ Vanquisher x2 w/ Hull Lascannon

Troop
    Platoon Command Squad 35pts
    Vox Caster
    Infantry Squad 55pts
    Vox Caster
    Infantry Squad 55pts
    Vox Caster
    Heavy Weapons Squad 120pts
    3x Missile Launcher (Krak, Frag & Flak)
    Heavy Weapons Squad 105pts
    3x Lascannon

Veteran Squad 105pts
    x3 Plasma Gun

Fast Attack
    Armoured Sentinel Squad 135pts
    3x Plasma Cannons

Armoured Sentinel Squad 135pts
    3x Plasma Cannons

Heavy
    Wyvern Battery 130pts
    2x Wyvern

Leman Russ Squadron 280pts
    2x LR Punisher

Fortification
    Aegis Defense line with quad gun 100pts

I know it is a bit short on anti-flyer, but overall it looks to me like it balances anti tank and anti infantry quite well. Not sold on the LR Punishers, but again, let me know

Chaplain

Well one thing I will mention is take advantage of the new rules for Pask as a Tank Commander in a Vehicle Squadron w. the option of Split Fire, you can simply always position the other 2 tanks closest to the enemy to help ensure Pask is the last Tank standing, I would probably put Pask in one of your Punishers instead of a Vanquisher, for the Rending attacks, plus with 20 shots he can offer his own threat to flyers if you so choose, at 20 shots with 6's to hit you still average 3 hits and then get to reroll armor penetration rolls where any 6 you roll you can add an additional d3 to your Armor Penetration, and at BS 5 he will mow down infantry models.

In that case would you suggest increasing the number of punishers and reducing the number of vanquishers? Or keep it as is?

Chaplain

Id probably go with more Vanquishers, Demonlishers or battle cannons and just use Pask in the one punisher, between him and the Wyverns and flashlights you are pretty well set for anti infantry

Brother-Captain

I would drop either one of the Heavy Support punishers or the Wyvern for a few extra Veteran Squads. You're pretty low on troop choices. Otherwise not bad. I'd also make sure to have Pask as your Warlord, as his warlord trait gives his unit the Preferred Enemy special rule against the codex of your choosing.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Alright so I have taken all the advice given and here is the slightly rejigged list:

HQ
    Company Command Squad 85
    1x Company Commander, 4x Veterans, Master of Ordnance, Vox Caster

Knight Commander Pask 525
    Pask's Vanquisher w/ Lascannon
    Leman Russ Executioner x2

Primaris Psyker Squad 100
    Primaris Psyker x2

Troop

Platoon Command Squad 35
    Vox Caster
    Infantry Squad 55
    Vox Caster
    Infantry Squad 55
    Vox Caster
    Heavy Weapons Squad 120
    3x Missile Launcher (Krak, Frag & Flak)
    Heavy Weapons Squad 105
    3x Lascannon

Veteran Squad 90
    3x Meltagun

Veteran Squad 105
    x3 Plasma Gun

Fast Attack
    Armoured Sentinel Squad 100
    2x Plasma Cannons

Armoured Sentinel Squad 100
    2x Plasma Cannons

Heavy
    Wyvern Battery 130
    2x Wyvern

Leman Russ Squadron 140
    1x LR Punisher

Fortification
    Aegis Defense line with quad gun 100

Ok, so here is my thoughts on how it plays:
    - Pask and his crew move forward slowly to get rid of infantry/weak tanks while pask split fires and knocks off a big tank (hopefully) each turn.
    - The punisher seeks out easy targets and soaks them with 20 S5 shots. A veteran squad (w/plasma) will follow close behind with a primaris psyker who will grant it prescience and then the plasma squad will mop up the last units (if close enough)
    - The platoon command squad will sit behind the aegis wall and the sergeant will operate the quad gun with another primaris psyker giving him prescience
    - The company command squad will blob with the guard infantry squads while maintaining ordnance fire and dishing out orders where necessary
    - The heavy weapons team will individually focus fire on anything that they are good at (ie tanks or flyers depending on which team)
    - The sentinals will cause a distraction will whittle down enemy squads with plasma pie plates to be mopped up by the wyverns
    - Wyverns will pretty much do what they do best. Drop pie plates.

I'm pretty happy with this list now. Though again, fire away with where it could go afoul

Veteran-Sergeant

HQ: If Pask is the warlord (and he usually should be) take relic plating for his tank. You only need one vehicle to have it for the others to benefit and you can always use up the spare 2 points on bolters for vet sargeants. I would add plasma sponsons and stubbers to both executioners. Casting prescience on them will allow you to reroll gets hot results.
    CCS is ok but I have hadly ever hit anything with master or ordnance, a standard may be better to keep the chaps happy. Heavy weapon squads can run away easily after only one S6 hit.

Troops: If you blob then you can drop one vox from a squad. If you don't blob then drop all voxes. I would absorb the lascannon into the squads or buy autocannon for them. Flak misile squad will probably be shot before any aircraft arrive and they are expensive. This is where I would save points for upgrades elsewhere. The vets need carapace if they are to advance in the open or consider chimeras.

Fast: ok. Could drop one unit (and the flak missile squad) and use a vendetta to provide aircover and some nasty tank busting.

Heavy: Wyverns are great. Punnisher needs HB sponsons and a stubber. It's a heavy tank so you might as well benefit by moving and firing the lot.

Brother-Captain

I also forgot to add: drop the plasma cannon on the Armored Sentinels. Sentinels are fragile enough as it is and the best weapon for them is the missile launcher. It gives them enough range to stay out of most dangerous stuff and has two different attack profiles (krak & frag) that allows for more versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcat
    Troops: If you blob then you can drop one vox from a squad. If you don't blob then drop all voxes. I would absorb the lascannon into the squads or buy autocannon for them. Flak misile squad will probably be shot before any aircraft arrive and they are expensive. This is where I would save points for upgrades elsewhere. The vets need carapace if they are to advance in the open or consider chimeras.

Vox Casters are OK if you feel that your dice rolls are consistently sucky enough to warrant them. It's a small enough upgrade that it's not a point sink in any real way.

In opposition to what Madcat says here, I believe you should never put heavy weapons inside of normal Infantry Squads. Your Infantry Squads will have other jobs to do other than baby-sitting a gun that may not move & fire normally.

Flakk missiles are a good investment for people that either don't like flyers, can't afford to buy (IRL) a flyer, or just want extra anti-air firepower.

If you're going to give your Veterans any doctrines (and I highly advise you to give them one) then always take Forward Sentries. The defensive grenades are a huge buff and while carapace gives you a nice 4+ armor save, a camo cloak can give you a 3+ cover save whilst sitting in ruins and a 2+ inside some fortifications.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chaplain

Still going to disagree on the Heavy Weapons in Infantry Squads, there are many good reasons to do so, and with the new orders one less negative.

In an Infantry Squad the heavy weapons are less vulnerable to being targeted and can be blobbed with other squads.

In an Infantry Squad the heavy weapons cost less points per model than selected as a part of a Heavy Weapons Squad

In an Infantry Squad the heavy weapons can have a higher base leadership and access to Vox casters.

The ability to Split Fire with Orders reducing the negative impact of combining anti tank weapons into a predominantly anti infantry unit.

Heavy Weapon Teams have a Lasgun to use while moving if they desire, they are not strictly forced to Snap Shot their Heavy weapon.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 04-24-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Still going to disagree on the Heavy Weapons in Infantry Squads, there are many good reasons to do so, and with the new orders one less negative.

In an Infantry Squad the heavy weapons are less vulnerable to being targeted and can be blobbed with other squads.

In an Infantry Squad the heavy weapons cost less points per model than selected as a part of a Heavy Weapons Squad

In an Infantry Squad the heavy weapons can have a higher base leadership and access to Vox casters.

The ability to Split Fire with Orders reducing the negative impact of combining anti tank weapons into a predominantly anti infantry unit.

Heavy Weapon Teams have a Lasgun to use while moving if they desire, they are not strictly forced to Snap Shot their Heavy weapon.
    I'll throw my agreement with Gleipnir about Heavy Weapons. I understand Katheron's point and agree it isn't an optimal use of them but especially with these new orders it's quite useful.

I myself prefer to put Heavy Bolters in squads simply because of the rate of fire. Even if you snap shoot with it you have the exact same 11% chance to kill a Marine as if a Marine shot him with a Bolter for example. Also, you're not tempted to have the entire unit shoot at a medium or heavy armor vehicle without any heavier weapons.

The really nice thing for putting Heavy Weapons in squads now is the "Take Aim" order. As every shot the unit makes is now a Precision Shot a full blob unit can be nasty. Make sure the Heavy Weapon shots hit the uber-assaulty character or the guy with the Flamer since you get to assign ALL the wounds you do.

And even if it's not a big combined squad the order that gives Split Fire is nice as then the Heavy Weapon can shoot a tank while the guys shine their flashlights as something else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast