BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

You make an interesting point about looking at them separate from the books, but that doesn't work for me. I can't separate them from the books because they aren't different enough. If it was something like BSG, for example, where the new one was a radical reinterpretation of the original, then fine, I can separate the two. But they have made a very conscious effort to keep it similar to the books, just making a a small number of tweaks and changes. When they do that, those changes need to work, or at least have good reasons for doing so. The rape scene didn't work. I don't see any reason for changing the motivations for Tyrion killing Tywin. I respect and appreciate your approach to the series, but it doesn't work for me so I will have to agree to disagree.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Still don't think Tyrion's motivations really changed at all, especially after reading this :[url]http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-finale-martin/[/url]

Most every change from the book I've heard people complain about I can think of a good reason why they changed it. They added Ros, because they needed to introduce some of the exposition that wouldn't have translated well from the books to the show. They added the dragon kidnapping, because Danerys' plot was slow, and they've significantly accelerated her plot now. The only real misstep in my opinion was the rape scene, but I even think that was a little overblown because I really can see Jamie and Cersei's relationship being that messed up as I said earlier (the real mistake was their making it too ambiguous so long after Jamie has become such a sympathetic character, if that scene had been in season 1 or 2 people would have just been like 'oh, yeah, that's the kingslayer for you').
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

It wasn't just the rape scene, it was that the showrunners didn't know it was a rape scene. Plus they turned Drogo asking for consent in the first book into a joke that no was the only word he knew in the series. Plus a tendency to sexualise violence against female characters in quite a gratuitous way
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Banned

Disney princesses as GoT characters

([URL="http://www.rowsdowr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/disney_princesses_as_game_of_thrones_by_djedjehuti-d770lzw.jpg"]large version[/URL])

Lol.

Ooh very nice.

By the way am I the only one who doesn't get the fuss about Rains of Castamere? Everyone loves it 'cept me it seems.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

See my cunning plan from earlier.......
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Still don't think Tyrion's motivations really changed at all, especially after reading this :[url]http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-finale-martin/[/url]

Most every change from the book I've heard people complain about I can think of a good reason why they changed it. They added Ros, because they needed to introduce some of the exposition that wouldn't have translated well from the books to the show. They added the dragon kidnapping, because Danerys' plot was slow, and they've significantly accelerated her plot now. The only real misstep in my opinion was the rape scene, but I even think that was a little overblown because I really can see Jamie and Cersei's relationship being that messed up as I said earlier (the real mistake was their making it too ambiguous so long after Jamie has become such a sympathetic character, if that scene had been in season 1 or 2 people would have just been like 'oh, yeah, that's the kingslayer for you').
    His motivations haven't changed, his reasons for them have. That whole article is about the revelations of what happened with his wife.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Banned

I approve

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast