BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you accept playing using rules and units from Stronghold Assault?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup! - Bring on the forts!

46 93.88%
  • No Way! - That book is whack!

3 6.12%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Acceptance for Stronghold Assault

One thing I never seem to see a lot of in player lists yet is many of the new options made available from Stronghold Assault particularly the Fortification options and Battlement/Battlefield debris, is it still not widely accepted or are players just holding their breath refusing it exists until it may/may not be added to a new rulebook that is rumored?

First-Captain

in my neck of the woods it's mainly lack of appeal, with a bit of lack of appropriate models for the things that do appeal (Voids) sprinkled in...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

In my opinion stronghold assault suffers from a few problems:

1) Some of the stuff doesnt have a model or even a description.
    2) D-Weapon
    3) Makes gunlines even stronger (throwing barbed wire everywhere)

I quite like the concept of the Stronghold Assault/ Planet strike games, but something about the delivery of it puts me off.

It's partly due to the complexity in Army Lists nowadays, but it's also due to points values. In 5th if one's used to playing games at 1750 or 1850 you'd have your regular lists, then in 6th you'd have to find space for a allies, formations, knights, Inquisitors etc.

I think it could work better if you had a separate points pool for fortifications/ Lords of War, this way you're encouraged to take stuff in compliment to your normal stuff without breaching either the 2000point threshold for double force org craziness or having to fit a large expensive unit into your regular list.
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

I bought the big box of forts and a pile other stuff at the Boxing Day sales (only time Down under to get world competitive prices).

The army list below is designed to make maximum use of models painted since Xmas. The Vostroyans and Tigurius are the only older ones.

Ultramarines w Guard 2000
    Guard
    HQ w MoO and Regt Std 95
    Platoon Command w 3 Flamer 45
    Squad w Grenade Launcher and Lascannon 75
    Squad w Grenade Launcher and Lascannon 75
    Heavy Weapons w 3 HB 75
    2 Earthshaker Platforms 150
    Firestorm Redoubt w Quad Lascannon, Punisher Gatling Cannon, Magos Machine Spirit, Escape Hatch and Void Shield 280
    2 Vengeance Weapons Batteries: 1 Battle Cannon and Quad Lascannon 160
    Emplacement 40
    Imperial Defence Line 80
    Imperial Bunker 55
    Total 1130
    Ultramarine Allies
    Tigurius 165
    3 Assault Centurions, 2 with Twin Linked Melta-gun and Hurricane Bolters, Sergeant with Twin Linked Flamer and Frag Assault Launchers
    5 Scouts w Shotguns, Sergeant with Combi-melta and Melta Bombs and Land Speeder Storm with Heavy Flamer and Cerberus Launcher
    5 Scouts w Shotguns, Sergeant with Combi-melta and Melta Bombs and Land Speeder Storm with Heavy Flamer and Cerberus Launcher
    Caestus Assault Ram 275
    Total 870
    TOTAL 2000

Chapter-Master

I like 'em. the building rules make more sense and the formations add character. Also there are some cheeky tricks in there to negate some of the nastier power lists.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I'm all in favour of it.

Sadly, it's fallen foul of mouth breathers who feel it has upset the meta.

Specifically mouth breathers, on account they seem to have failed to grasp that EVERY release upsets and changes the meta, whether they like or not. That's where they get their frankly bizarre and completely arbitrary 'tiers' from.

Though to be clear, not all of those who follow the meta are mouth breathers of this sort. Most are perfectly normal human beings, on account they understand every release shifts the meta
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

I've never heard anyone complain about stronghold assault. I think it's more that people are more interested in spending their points on cool units from the army they chose rather than generic buildings.

Great for narrative campaigns though.

How does Stronghold Assault change the meta? It reinforces the meta PLUS make the game more stationary and shooty.
    Hiding your Taudar Gunline behind Barbed Wire and voidshields does not change anything.

Voidshields do.

Honking great Macro-cannons do.

Multiple sets of fortifications do.

They provide additional AA opportunities, of particular use to armies with no current dedicated AA units.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast