Long time reader first time poster:

On a recent article of Bell of lost Souls, Mkerr posted a "test" Battle Report of the new Tyranids and indicated that his perfect stand in for the Spore Pod was the Mega Bloks - Plasma Hatcher series of Toys.

I was fortunate enough to have placed my order on Sunday, and I finally got the first one in!

First off let's talk about size:

As you can see, the egg is a perfect fit for a Carnifex, and is big enough to provide cover, but not so big as to dwarf other things on the table.

The plastic is a clearish blue (though others come in different colors), and like most clear plastics, doesn't take to super glue well. I had to let it dry a good half hour before it "set" enough to where I was comfortable with it.

It also comes with some glaring gaps:

There are two holes at the top and bottom (for the wire that keeps it secure in the package), and both halves do not fit exactly snug (which is understandable considering it's a toy meant to open continually).

I was able to correct it "easily" enough with small amounts of Greenstuff to fill in the gaps.

Another issue is the horrendous mold lines you will get on the things. Again, you have to remind yourself this is a cheaply produced toy, but it gets a little frustrating as the type of plastic doesn't lend itself to the traditional ways of clearing mold lines, and the darkness of the plastic makes it difficult to spot.