BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Sure, in which case our films would either be terrible, or set like 150 years after Endor.

I'm not blind to the fact that this is a cash grab - they want to make films that people will see, and post-Legacy films or yet more Old Republic prequels probably don't fit that bill. At the same time ... again, look at the last reboot. The EU that most of us grew up with is a lot better than the EU that came before, and why? Not because the authors were any better, but because there was a department at Lucasfilm making sure that the EU was planned and curated. Sure, it was a parallel universe to the movies and the TV show, and sure, most of it was still bad, but they took it seriously and we got a better product than what had come before.

The way I see it, now they're doing the same thing. They're taking it even more seriously, and I don't see any reason to expect that to result in a worse product than what we've already got.

Chapter-Master

No by leave it alone, I meant no more new films.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Yeah, I suppose. But I have to admit that I am excited to see if they can do it better this time around. I mean, I suppose I have less skin in the game since my favorite part of the EU has already been quasi-retconned out of existence, but I keep thinking back to the previous EU and thinking, "Man, wouldn't it have sucked if they had never quashed that stuff in the name of leaving established canon alone?"

Do you mean retconning or this info - I haven't seen it before... as to the neckbeards - if you keep sitting on that fence MM, you'll get splinters in the botty...

He'd be the perfect Dark Angel.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Librarian

Im going to go read through Tales Of the Bounty Hunters today, **** disney

Chapter-Master

I know I still have the issues over Fett not being the who he was and the hatchet job of them trying to straighten that out.
    But the EU for me only runs from the Crispen Solo books onwards...
    I suppose I'll watch them when they get on tv so i'm not paying for it.

The short story compilation? Is that the one that has Fett and Solo facing off as old men?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    I know I still have the issues over Fett not being the who he was and the hatchet job of them trying to straighten that out.
    But the EU for me only runs from the Crispen Solo books onwards...
    I mean, I think that's a real problem they have. I'm pretty sure most fans are like you and me - we have a part of the EU that we actually care about and either think is good or are willing to forgive for other reasons, and we think the rest of it ranges from mediocre to an insult to the very memory of Star Wars. Given that, I really don't blame them declining to just set the whole thing in stone. They have a chance to finally make the EU real, and I can totally get why they'd look at the whole thing and say, "... you know what, guys? Maybe ... maybe we don't want to use our set-in-stone spell on this."

Chapter-Master

But you know they're going to release new books, and still use the ABY dating system

Well yeah, of course. Which makes me feel great. I mean, as I said - there are pretty much no EU plot points or characters that I am attached to, and I think those are the most likely things to get axed. I wouldn't mind Mara Jade getting Lumiya'd, of course, but pretty much everything else can go as far as I'm concerned The rest of it - the tech, the dating systems, the astrography, even the cultures - I imagine are going to stay pretty much as they are.

I love Star Wars, although I've never gotten too deeply into the EU novels/comics. Loved the West End Games d6 RPG materials, though, as well as the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games. While I can understand why people are upset by this move, and even though I had my own bits of raging against things Lucas changed in the god-awful prequels (still mad that Bevel Lemelisk got replaced with Geonosian engineers *hugs his copy of the Death Star Technical Manual*), I understand how this can be good for the future writers to clean house and create a fixed baseline for what is and isn't canon; it also doesn't prevent writers from taking "Legends" content and working it into the new canon.

As for me, I have one hope for all of this, something that might actually get me checking out the new EU canon materials - stop having the entire galaxy constantly revolve around the Skywalker clan. Having some focus on them? Sure. But seriously, it seems like every important event in the galaxy involves Luke and Leia and their respective spawn, even going to the Star Wars Legacy comics set a century later. It's a huge galaxy - tell other peoples' stories already!
    My Armies: Tau (complete), Chaos Space Marines (complete), Black Templars (2012/2013 project)
    My Blog: NockerGeek.net | Our Podcast: Preferred Enemies - http://www.preferredenemies.com

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast