BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Astra Militarum Ld Change?

OK so this is entirely speculative and can be taken with a pinch of salt, but....

If the fluff for Militarum Tempestus is that these guys are as solid and determined as they come.... They are subjected to years and years of psychological conditioning, are constantly assessed, intimidated, conditioned to be essentially unwavering and they get Ld drop to 7 for regular Scion troopers....

If the rules match the fluff then can we expect a drop in the Ld of regular IG units?
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

I'd be pretty surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Shadow View Post
    OK so this is entirely speculative and can be taken with a pinch of salt, but....

If the fluff for Militarum Tempestus is that these guys are as solid and determined as they come.... They are subjected to years and years of psychological conditioning, are constantly assessed, intimidated, conditioned to be essentially unwavering and they get Ld drop to 7 for regular Scion troopers....

If the rules match the fluff then can we expect a drop in the Ld of regular IG units?
    ya, it looks like it they may be dropping. I am shocked the Scions don't have stubborn or Show no Fear, to fit the lore of them over normal guard units.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron LeClair View Post
    ya, it looks like it they may be dropping.
    I don't see why you think so. They're not going to just randomly drop the Guardsman Leadership to 6. That's totally absurd.

And according to the fluff, marines should all be WS/BS/S/T 5 with a 2+ save. The fluff has never been that close to the rules.

Edit: I should note: The guard statline has always been the baseline the game was balanced off of. There's no way they'd change it now. Not unless GW has completely lost their senses.
    Last edited by deinol; 04-06-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    And according to the fluff, marines should all be WS/BS/S/T 5 with a 2+ save. The fluff has never been that close to the rules.

Edit: I should note: The guard statline has always been the baseline the game was balanced off of. There's no way they'd change it now. Not unless GW has completely lost their senses.
    HAHA!

no, just no on every level.

Fantasy is based on a statline of 3s, 40k is based around the marine statline of 4s
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    HAHA!

no, just no on every level.

Fantasy is based on a statline of 3s, 40k is based around the marine statline of 4s
    I come from the first edition days when 40k was based on Fantasy's statline of 3s.

The imperial guard are normal humans (ie 3), and space marines are the super humans (ie 4). Same thing really. Yes, the MEQ is the common unit in 40k, but it's all based on the original human statline.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    I come from the first edition days when 40k was based on Fantasy's statline of 3s.

The imperial guard are normal humans (ie 3), and space marines are the super humans (ie 4). Same thing really. Yes, the MEQ is the common unit in 40k, but it's all based on the original human statline.
    good for you. But 40k has been balanced around marine costs, marine damage and marine toughness since 3rd ed

genetically toughened is 4

it gets more extreme and/or squishy from there.

thats why AP3 comes at a premium cost
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

There is no evidence to back this up.
    In fact it would be stupid from a design pov as the "guard" stats house the most average dice results and have no individual special rules.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    There is no evidence to back this up.
    In fact it would be stupid from a design pov as the "guard" stats house the most average dice results and have no individual special rules.
    firstly,

There is no "average" on a single D6 roll.

Furthermore the average on multiple D6 rolls lies smack bang in the MIDDLE of 3 and 4, so your assertion would apply equally well to marines

Secondly when 3rd was released bog standard marines had no "additional special rules" either, the rules have been added as a drop in marine cost affects the entire game not just the marine codex, as such they made them more effective at a similar cost as opposed to simply making them cheaper.

finally the most common stat is 4, 3s are for "weaker" or more "fragile" units, fast is assigned I5 whereas I3 is slow, all the terminology and description in the rulebook is centered around 4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast