BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Cheers for the info Clockwork!
    No problem!

So on the interesting observation front, I took a look at a comparison of how much stuff was released for 6th versus 5th just for fun:

6th:
    9 Full Codexes
    4 "Mini-dexes"
    6 Codex Supplements
    5 Expansions

5th Edition:
    9 Codexes (Counting the Sisters WD Codex)
    4 Expansions

So just on a "how much stuff released" perspective you could argue that 6th isn't leaving too soon. And it's interesting that in 2 years we got the same number of codexes in 6th that we got in 4-5 years with 5th. I wonder if GW is basing the launch of a new edition on the amount of stuff they've released and not the amount of time between the editions.

On a timeline though 2 years still really feels short regardless of how much stuff came out, but I don't think this edition has been short changed on content at least.

No one knows whats happening yet so I don't know why you're all gearing up to be so negative

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asterion View Post
    No one knows whats happening yet so I don't know why you're all gearing up to be so negative
    Because Internet!

SquigBrain runs around in circles, waving his arms wildly. "DOOM! DOOOOOOM!"
    Anuvver triumph uv orky know-wotz!

Chaplain

I can't speak for others but here are my reasons..

1) Experience has taught me that the BRB rules changes to be a negative event. What disappears this time? Shooting getting weakened in favor of close combat.. vehicles over infantry.. gunline vs more aggressive lists.

2) Since this is probably a desperate move to improve sales numbers, the rules changes could be a rush job with little testing.

3) I'm a project lead for a software testing group. Pessimism is the safest port in a storm. The people that believe everything will work out are the ones that crash the ship into the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Atog View Post
    I can't speak for others but here are my reasons..

1) Experience has taught me that the BRB rules changes to be a negative event. What disappears this time? Shooting getting weakened in favor of close combat.. vehicles over infantry.. gunline vs more aggressive lists.

2) Since this is probably a desperate move to improve sales numbers, the rules changes could be a rush job with little testing.

3) I'm a project lead for a software testing group. Pessimism is the safest port in a storm. The people that believe everything will work out are the ones that crash the ship into the rocks.
    1) based on what exactly? the only time I've seen it being bad was the change from 2nd to 3rd, but that made sense for them as they wanted to change the game from a skirmish sized game to mass combat

2) You're basing this on something you have said earlier on in the thread, its likely NOT a sales driver, rules take a lot of writing and big books like that are expensive, I doubt they're high profit items, if they wanted to drive up sales, model releases would do better

3) No one it saying it will all work out, I'm just saying moaning about it is pointless.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Customer Service emailed me back about the rulebook (emphasis mine):

Hello there,

Currently the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook is out of stock and I do not have a date as to when they will be back in stock right now. We will have to keep watching the Games Workshop website and White Dwarf for more information. You can still get the mini rulebook in the Dark Vengeance core set. Should you need anything else please give us a call at 1-800-394-4263 and we will work to get you helped out.

Thanks,

Games Workshop
    North America Customer Services
    So something is coming. I'm prepared for the worst, just in case.
    This is their canned answer for everything. They have said this to me before about Sisters of Battle models and look, nothing 20 years later.

I just assume the worst so I don't end up dissapointed. Basically I set my expectations extraordinarily low so anything looks better.

Battle-Brother

release -----years old....years between
    (1st) 1987--------27..................6
    (2nd) 1993-------21..................5
    (3rd) 1998--------16..................6
    (4th) 2004--------10..................4
    (5th) 2008---------6...................4
    (6th) 2012---------2...................2
    (7th?)2014

Can't really believe they are kicking out a new edition so soon after the last....
    Last edited by Rangerrob; 04-29-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    Rangerrob

Chaplain

1) based on what exactly? the only time I've seen it being bad was the change from 2nd to 3rd, but that made sense for them as they wanted to change the game from a skirmish sized game to mass combat

2) You're basing this on something you have said earlier on in the thread, its likely NOT a sales driver, rules take a lot of writing and big books like that are expensive, I doubt they're high profit items, if they wanted to drive up sales, model releases would do better

3) No one it saying it will all work out, I'm just saying moaning about it is pointless.
    1) Based on several things. We've had editions where vehicles were king and the infantry just stood there. The waxing and waning of close combat over multiple editions. The current edition's introduction of flyers/allies and not giving equal access to all the different races.

2) You are correct that large rule books like that are expensive but it's the one thing that every person playing will have to have access to. The profit margin is lower but it's going to sell more units than almost everything.. except for perhaps space marine base troops.

3) You asked why we were being negative. It's just as pointless to moan about the moaning. In the end, giving voice to the negativity is a healthy thing. Better to let it out instead of quietly bottling it up.

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast