BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant
    The Phalanx (Royal Berkshire, Great Britain)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I have to say this makes me REALLY nervous... I know people will say that it opens up the game and allows people to field their collections, and create fluffy armies... BUT what will really happen is that people will now just spam the single powerful unit in the game and that will be that...

in 2000 point games what is to now stop someone from taking 5 - 6 flying deamon princes all tooled up? When facing that once all you will get is someone countering that will all SM thunderhammer storm shield armies...

I fear this is the beginning of the end...
    I'm all for positive thinking and waiting to see what comes, but I agree with you a bit. Feels a bit like the lid has been lifted off pandora's box. I wonder if they got the lid back on in time to keep hope inside.
    "Give me a hundred Space Marines. Failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

Fly Lord

It all has a very 2nd Edition - 1st Edition Rogue Trader vibe.

The use of decks of mission cards...

The buy anything and play with what you have...

The big de-emphasis on Army Lists...

The psychic phase...

It's like the game is going back full circle. Well now I can see why there were no FAQs for a year and they took down the Facebook page

-Larry
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Since I don't play - i'm unaffected, but it does seem crazy for an edition to last only 2 years! At least that gives people confirmation it IS a new edition. Since I love starter set models, It's a good thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    It all has a very 2nd Edition - 1st Edition Rogue Trader vibe.

The use of decks of mission cards...

The buy anything and play with what you have...

The big de-emphasis on Army Lists...

The psychic phase...

It's like the game is going back full circle. Well now I can see why there were no FAQs for a year and they took down the Facebook page

-Larry
    I hear you, and its great to see the pattern, but the game was unbalanced enough as it is! This screams of madness of the highest order. What GW have infact done is stopped people buying troop choices and MANY of the units they where "forced" to buy in the past...

Will GW ever sell a single box of Imperial Guard infantry again? Why would you bother? To get this mythical "bonus" they tell us about? I'm not sure how much the "bonus" will add up to when you are faced with a wall of leman russ executioners...

God, can you imagine the abuse tyranids will be able to throw down? Pure monstrous creature lists... Heck pure obliterator armies?? How many oblits can you fit into a 2000 point army list? and WHO and WHAT do you think will stand up to that?
    Iron Hands fanboy since 2008.
    Iron Hands [4k], Brotherhood of Iron [1k], Sons of Medusa [500]

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

ok, so the only two pictures we have at the moment are the WD ones

So what do we KNOW.....

Percentages are bunk, the pictures specifically refer to the FOC so luckily that junk is gone.

The Psychic Phase is back, and warp charges are determined not just by a D6 but by a D6 + Combined mastery levels, so you list can still bank on the number of mastery levels it has. Whole thing seems very fantasy magic with them talking about the opponent using "warp charges for deny the witch"

Two Types of armies: Unbound and FOC.....

Ok so the unbound is stupid as far as we know (really does look it) But knowing the way GW writes rules and then refers to them in WD, and know the way the community opperates...I'm not worried. GASP! I know, me not getting upset.....

Look I fully expect "unbound" armies to be something like a short paragraph in the building a force section that states if you and your opponent agree then you can take "unbound" armies and modify the game like so.
    Id also expect it to be largely ignored buy 90% of the community in favour of FOC. Much like 2 FOC at 2K is largely ignored, or escalation is ignored or Mysterious terrain, or anything else in the book that bogs down the game or makes it practically unplayable.

so what Im saying is we dont know enough about unbound armies yet to get upset, but be wary, very wary.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Much like 2 FOC at 2K is largely ignored
    Agree with much of what you say but I don't really find that anyone ignores double FOC in my own experience. Practically everyone I play against takes advantage of this to shove in a cheap Librarian or an Archon or something. Very, very common in my area at least.

All sounds good to me.

Vive la differénce!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgar View Post
    Agree with much of what you say but I don't really find that anyone ignores double FOC in my own experience. Practically everyone I play against takes advantage of this to shove in a cheap Librarian or an Archon or something. Very, very common in my area at least.
    fair enough, I was generally speaking the community at large, furthermore I'll also admit that as 6th has gotten older 2 FOC has gained more acceptance in most communities.

edit:

So can I say I find it funny that the same people that are accepting unbound pretty readily are normally the same people that have a problem with 2++ re-roll stars or wanted the more restrictive percentages? what changed?
    Last edited by daboarder; 05-05-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I have to say this makes me REALLY nervous... I know people will say that it opens up the game and allows people to field their collections, and create fluffy armies... BUT what will really happen is that people will now just spam the single powerful unit in the game and that will be that...
    I remember when allies came out and people were talking about how awesome this would be for the meta and how it would totally change the nature of the game - when in reality it only made the metahammer even worse (as I would like to point out, I predicted). Taking all of the barn doors off of the ruleset is going to show the model points system for what it is, a facade that gives us the illusion of balance.
    I fear this is the beginning of the end...
    My doom and gloom meter is pretty pegged at the moment.

Much like 2 FOC at 2K is largely ignored, or escalation is ignored or Mysterious terrain, or anything else in the book that bogs down the game or makes it practically unplayable.
    I don't know what meta you play in, but I cannot seem to play against a single FOC 2k point list anymore.
    Last edited by Defenestratus; 05-05-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

So, Games-Workshop has been and is really pushing the idea that their game is not meant to be competitive. A lot of you guys are freaking out about how this affects competitive play. You're all silly. Tournaments will have a list of what rules to use, just like they started doing with the current edition. Organizers will do their best to make sure you have a good time; that's their job.

I for one will be stoked to play some crazy games with my friends using whatever we want. Then I can play in a tournament with structure. There may even be some "Unbound" tournament out there. As long as you know what that means going in, you will bring an army that fits in that sort of environment. As I've got a huge Apocalypse force, the idea of a crazy unbound tournament sounds pretty fun actually. Unless the guy on the other side of the table doesn't want to play that sort of game. Then neither of us will have fun. Well, unless I'm playing Orks. I always have fun with my Boyz, even that one time my Green Tide got tabled!

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast