BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Used to do it on a 5 day a week basis when I was a shop mook for GW. It's easy really.
    Sure, people who were already wandering into a GW store out of either intent or curiosity in the first place, I'm not entirely sure that counts. The pool of friends and acquaintances I have to try convince all already have their own expensive/time consuming hobbies; PC gaming, game development, brewing beer, 501st Legion cosplayers, car tuning, or other less expensive tabletop games(X-wing, Android: Netrunner, general boardgaming). One chunk of them their eyes practically glaze over as I talk about what I do in my free time, another think it's cool but way too expensive to commit to when they see how much I've spent, and the others are already ex-40k players.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    It all has a very 2nd Edition - 1st Edition Rogue Trader vibe.

The use of decks of mission cards...

The buy anything and play with what you have...

The big de-emphasis on Army Lists...

The psychic phase...

It's like the game is going back full circle. Well now I can see why there were no FAQs for a year and they took down the Facebook page

-Larry
    Does that mean by 9th ed or 10th Ed we will be back to 4th Ed?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Personally, I'm not thinking of leaving 40k because my "broken list" is not going to win anymore. I'm thinking about putting my models in extended storage because I'm thoroughly frightened that GW has blatantly decided to no longer write rules that promote a fun, healthy game. They are simply writing rules to sell models - and thats it. If there's any doubt thats what unbound is all about, I simply have to refer to the article where the staff are happily spamming their big expensive kits.
    Wait what? In the end, you and your friends choose who and how to play the game. Making House Rules is nothing new. Go ahead and put your models away but you're missing out. The new edition will create a base of common rules that will get tweaked in almost all the gaming groups. Fun will find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiecow View Post

Wait what? In the end, you and your friends choose who and how to play the game. Making House Rules is nothing new. Go ahead and put your models away but you're missing out. The new edition will create a base of common rules that will get tweaked in almost all the gaming groups. Fun will find a way.
    Making House rules is easier when you just have to agree to ignore certain restrictions or impose additional small restrictions (for us its "no special characters" and "allies have to fit in the same FOC - no additional slots").
    Houseruling a "take all you want" system is getting a tiresome and boring administrational task. And thats just for 8 people. So it probably will come down to "we agree to use the FOC and discard it for campaign purposes". And to "I dont think I will ever make games again outside of this small group off people" cause the task of negotiating whats ok and what not with a stranger is really tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Atog View Post
    they have a small hobby budget and a booster box per month habit eats it all up.
    Your definition of 'small budget' is interesting...

One day they will invent a new type of image that repeat an animation. Until that day you will have to hit 'play' on the video...
    What.. like an animated gif ...

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    What a lot of whining when all we have is a vague description of the new features in a WD editorial. From what it sounds like people are going to be able to run lore friendly things like armoured columns and all wraith armies and ASSUMING the new rules don't provide some checks and balances we don't know about if you think a particular army is broken don't bloody play against it.
    PAYSF - Play As You See Fit.

- - - Updated - - -

PAYSF -Play As You see Fit!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Boofhead View Post
    Your definition of 'small budget' is interesting...
    I've known several people that were as poor as church mice but they would buy a booster box worth of Magic each month. I once watched the following exchange between a parent and a small child at a card shop.

Little girl: Daddy, can Mom and I go see a movie at the matinee today?
    Father: No, we can't afford to do that.

He then goes and buys about 20 booster packs of Magic. At the time, packs were about $3 dollars apiece so he dropped $60 dollars plus tax... yet wouldn't spend $10 on 2 tickets to the matinee. Some people are just sorry..

Quote Originally Posted by 40k_slimez View Post
    What.. like an animated gif ...
    What sorcery is this you speak of?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Atog View Post
    I've known several people that were as poor as church mice but they would buy a booster box worth of Magic each month. I once watched the following exchange between a parent and a small child at a card shop.

Little girl: Daddy, can Mom and I go see a movie at the matinee today?
    Father: No, we can't afford to do that.

He then goes and buys about 20 booster packs of Magic. At the time, packs were about $3 dollars apiece so he dropped $60 dollars plus tax... yet wouldn't spend $10 on 2 tickets to the matinee. Some people are just sorry..
    That makes me all sorts of angry... but then, I've seen similar things happen with friends. "Hey man, want to go out and get a burger at McD's?" - "Nah, can't afford it *while building a brand new 100 dollar kit*" - He then goes on to complain about how he's had to skip meals. It's like, really people? There's this thing called a budget... and there's this sad thing called 'living beyond your means'...

Chapter-Master

Does that mean by 9th ed or 10th Ed we will be back to 4th Ed?

- - - Updated - - -

Why expend a massive amount of effort getting your gaming group together and agreeing on houserules because GW isn't willing to do it for you when you can just play Infinity or Wamahordes or Drop Zone Commander or Malifaux or X Wing or any of the other games out there?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast