BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Zero Gravity Combat

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-17-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

There have been a few GW scenarios in WD and elsewhere that covered combat in low or zero-gravity conditions and I'm fairly sure if I check my copy of the RT rulebook that will have some suggestions in it too.

The one I remember (this was was for zero- or low-gravity and an airless atmosphere) gave everyone an increased move of +D6" (to reflect infantry being able to move in leaping bounds and reduced all armour saves by one to reflect the increased chance of models dying if their armour was punctured. Regarding the latter, I think the thinking was that even though certain types of armour include life support for vacuum conditions, the wearer is still very vulnerable to that protection failing.

I don't think that the low gravity had any effect on shooting, there weren't any rules for increased ranges or penalties for greater recoil or anything like that.

Then again, you could equally argue that unless they were specially trained, certain models would move more slowly in zero gravity rather than faster, so you could simply make everyone move as if they were in difficult terrain all the time.

You could argue that certain armies wouldn't be vulnerable to exposure to space (maybe daemons, tyranids, necrons) or that certain units wouldn't be that bothered by zero-gravity (perhaps jump and jet infantry).

What type of games are you thinking of? Something set on/in a spaceship, on a low-gravity world or with jump and jet pack troops zooming around in deep space?

Grand Provost Marshal

This is a good idea. I'd probably add +6" range to weapons, +d6" to Assaults (like the d6" to movement), and Ordnance Weapons, when fired, push the firing model backwards d6". Might be fun, and keep things fluid.

Chaplain

i'll see if i can dig up my old Battletech stuff and see what modifications they had. I know back then i definitely played low or no gravity games. It affected all kinds of movement.
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Occuli Imperator

ONe thing you can do too is this:

Since most zero gravity situations are also in the vaccum I would upgrade all weapons to AP1. This represents the added probability that when a tank is glanced it vents atmosphere and can be rendered wrecked that much easier.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    ONe thing you can do too is this:

Since most zero gravity situations are also in the vaccum I would upgrade all weapons to AP1. This represents the added probability that when a tank is glanced it vents atmosphere and can be rendered wrecked that much easier.

Duke
    While that sounds super neat i'm pretty sure that would speed the games up about 2X. And do you really want Fire warriors / chimeras full of ap1 weapons...

Chapter-Master

well -1 ap

movement +d6-D6
    or +d6 with difficult terrain

tanks -D6 move
    skimmer +D6 move
    walker -D3 move
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-17-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Abbess Sanctorum

If it's in space, then wouldn't doing extra movement or firing and moving risk launching you into the blackness of space and the inevitable death that would bring?

In zero gravity, firing a bolter-- or any weapon with recoil-- without steadying your feet with mag-boots would be... stupid.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast