BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Void Shields and hits.

Before an event I was wondering if someone could clear up a big rules ambiguity that is sure to come up; Void Shields.

The pertinant questions are:

1. If a Blast weapon fires at a squad in a Void Shield and "hits" 5 models, does it get 5 hits on the Shield as opposed to just one hit if it were fired at a single model within a Void Shield? For example, a Battle Cannon which "hit" 10 Genestealers would have a better chance to collapse the Void Shield protecting them than if it "hit" a single Hive Tyrant? This seems like a slippery slope.

2. Which leads us to, if Question 1 is true, and the VS collapses from an initial hit, do hits from the SAME blast carry over to it's original target after the collapse? Or, such as with hitting Transport Vehicles, all "hits" from the same unit resolved simultaneously against it's target and cannot then continue to hit disembarked passengers from a destroyed Transport.

3. Do projected Void Shields ever get to make cover saves? Do Void Shields which sheeth a fortification ever get to make cover saves?

4. How is distance, for the allowable 12" Shield bubble determined in cases such as Torrent flamers, Barrage blasts, and odd weapons like Imotek's ligntning which comes from the sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Before an event I was wondering if someone could clear up a big rules ambiguity that is sure to come up; Void Shields.

The pertinant questions are:

1. If a Blast weapon fires at a squad in a Void Shield and "hits" 5 models, does it get 5 hits on the Shield as opposed to just one hit if it were fired at a single model within a Void Shield? For example, a Battle Cannon which "hit" 10 Genestealers would have a better chance to collapse the Void Shield protecting them than if it "hit" a single Hive Tyrant? This seems like a slippery slope.
    It wouldn't hit 5 models at all. The void shield rules state that an attack hits the void shield instead of of the "target," and the target of the attack is not the models - it's the unit. So it only scores one hit.

2. Which leads us to, if Question 1 is true, and the VS collapses from an initial hit, do hits from the SAME blast carry over to it's original target after the collapse? Or, such as with hitting Transport Vehicles, all "hits" from the same unit resolved simultaneously against it's target and cannot then continue to hit disembarked passengers from a destroyed Transport.
    N/A, because of the above.

3. Do projected Void Shields ever get to make cover saves? Do Void Shields which sheeth a fortification ever get to make cover saves?
    No. Void shields aren't models, so they can't benefit from effects that grant cover saves to models, and they can't be physically obscured from the firer's point of view, so they can't ever get a cover save for being in cover.

4. How is distance, for the allowable 12" Shield bubble determined in cases such as Torrent flamers, Barrage blasts, and odd weapons like Imotek's ligntning which comes from the sky?
    In the case of the first two examples, the question is where the shooting attack originates from. That's a different question than where the shot is deemed to be coming from for purposes of determining cover saves. So the question is simply where the shooting unit is, even if the shooting attack is a Torrent or Barrage attack.

For attacks that aren't due to the action of a model ... I don't think there's a good answer. The rules simply don't specify where an attack originates from if it isn't made by a model. For that reason I'd be inclined to default to what makes the most narrative sense, which in my opinion is that attacks from the sky absolutely hit the void shield. But I really do think this is a hole in the rules.

Brother-Captain

To tack onto the 3rd response there from Nab, the Void Shield Generator can take cover saves, if available, but not the projected void shields themselves.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chapter-Master

Kath - I thought there was a specific rule that buildings/fortifications couldn't have cover saves.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

@Nab, thank you for the detailed response. I concur with your interpretation. My gaming group viewed it otherwise last time we played, so I appreciate any help wording statements which explain these rules. The problem is that the rules for projected Void Shields state "Any shooting attack that originates from outside a Void Shield Zone and hits a target within the Void Shield Zone instead hits the projected void shield." So it can be argued, how does one know the blast hits a target at all unless it is placed and scattered, at which point it generates more "hits".

@Kath, yes I agree

@Den, as far as I can tell, all shooting at buildings/forts are handled just as if they were vehicles. So the 25% obscured and intervening models rules would apply. I have ran into instances where my opponent claimed "just as if" didn't make them actual vehicles, so they didn't receive a cover save as a vehicle, but I pointed out that page 18 states all models, regardless of type, are given cover saves and the 25% obscured rule for vehicles is an exception stipulated in their entry.
    Last edited by Harley; 04-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Chaplain

The prevailing "wisdom" on dakka is that Blast markers score multiple hits on a void shield per model hit under the blast template, I agree with Nab in that this is the wrong interpretation, because all hits are redirected to one instance of a Void Shield per shooting attack RAW.

Where can Blast markers inflict multiple hits on the same Void Shield is when you hit more than one "unit" with one. Example shooting a blast weapon at a unit on the battlement of a fortification also protected by Void Shields hits both the unit on top and the Building per the Stronghold Assault rules, and as the shooting player you determine the order of those results shooting attacks are resolved.

There is no rule regarding buildings and cover saves apart from buildings being treated as Transport Vehicles for shooting attack rules purposes, which means the standard 25% cover requirement applies.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    The prevailing "wisdom" on dakka is that Blast markers score multiple hits on a void shield per model hit under the blast template, I agree with Nab in that this is the wrong interpretation, because all hits are redirected to one instance of a Void Shield per shooting attack RAW.

Where can Blast markers inflict multiple hits on the same Void Shield is when you hit more than one "unit" with one. Example shooting a blast weapon at a unit on the battlement of a fortification also protected by Void Shields hits both the unit on top and the Building per the Stronghold Assault rules, and as the shooting player you determine the order of those results shooting attacks are resolved.

There is no rule regarding buildings and cover saves apart from buildings being treated as Transport Vehicles for shooting attack rules purposes, which means the standard 25% cover requirement applies.
    So would a unit of say Basilisks all firing Barrages hit the Void Shield 3 times and nothing gets through, or would you do each hit separately and once the shield goes down apply the rest to whatever it was protecting? I'm leaning towards the former myself but I wonder what other people think.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    So would a unit of say Basilisks all firing Barrages hit the Void Shield 3 times and nothing gets through, or would you do each hit separately and once the shield goes down apply the rest to whatever it was protecting? I'm leaning towards the former myself but I wonder what other people think.
    It seems clear to me that all shooting from a single unit occurs simultaneously. The blasts would all hit the shield at the same time (roll to pen at the same time) and would not hit the original target once it collapses no more than they would hit a unit embarked in a Transport Vehicle which got destroyed by the first blast.

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    I'm actually leaning towards the latter. The former would imply to me that if you shoot at a superheavy walker with three void shields and hit it twenty times with a single shooting attack, the very worst that could happen is that the walker loses all three shields. I don't have my copies of Escalation or Apocalypse handy, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    I'm actually leaning towards the latter. The former would imply to me that if you shoot at a superheavy walker with three void shields and hit it twenty times with a single shooting attack, the very worst that could happen is that the walker loses all three shields. I don't have my copies of Escalation or Apocalypse handy, but that doesn't sound right to me.
    I'm having trouble imagining what kind of "Single shooting" attack against a single target could possibly get 20 hits that could pen or glance AV12. It may be an impossible scenario.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast