BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Question Question for Eldar players/collectors/fans?

What is it about the Eldar that motivates you? Models? Fluff? Extremely powerful codexes/codecies in nearly every edition?

I have about 2k worth of Eldar that have been sitting in a box since 2009 or so because I cannot find motivation for them. I bought them from a friend who was leaving the hobby...thinking that I would get them restored and painted up. I really want to do something with them just to give myself an excuse to buy Eldar titans...which was my major motivation for buying them in the first place...I want to own/build/paint a Phantom...an armorcast phantom would have been my first 40k model if I had had another $100 on me when I found them (opted for a warhound)

In any case, please tell me what it is that you love about them.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Style and Fluff. Then again I also played Dark Elves in WHFB.

Chapter-Master

The models are what do it for me. I find the boxy aesthetic of marines a bit boring and I don't really care for the other armies. Eldar are sleek, beautiful models (for the most part).
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

For me it's mostly the models/aesthetic and the fact that more exotic paintschemes do make more sense on them (at least, to me it makes more sense). It's a nice break from all the grimdark stuff 40k offers otherwise. Tau offers this as well, but this mecha theme isn't much for me I guess.

Eldar gave me more reason to actually try out painting orange cloaks and stuff... something my Orks or Chaos don't really have.

The entire Aspect warriors thing does appeal to me, since it doesn't make a unit use that ambigious... yeah, sometimes I like stuff to be less ambigious on the battlefield. If I'm running firewarriors at least I know why I'm running them.

I'm not much of a fluff junky, so I don't have much to chip in there.

As for powerlevel... From what I read and hear the army is quite powerful as it is now, but that never was the reason I ended up with any armies... not that much of a gamer, though having decent options pretty much all over the codex makes gaming a bit more fun. Playing once every few months with a poorly written codex doesn't add a lot of fun I guess.
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

The aesthetic and the background.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I started collecting Eldar back in 1991. For me it was, "well we already have space marines and chaos... hmm these look cool..."

I had a fully painted "army" (one or two of each aspect and an Avatar), but somehow they disappeared around 1995 =(

I got back into 40K around 2000 and picked up again with Eldar because I knew them and because I enjoyed playing them and their background. Sadly though, I am just not finding the motivation to paint them up again. I want to, I really do and I still enjoy playing, but finding the motivation to paint just isn't happening.

Battle-Brother

Paint has been a big hang up for me. Prefer to play a painted army...but not motivated about colors for them. Don't want to just paint each aspect in it's traditional colors...prefer a theme to the army. And if I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a Phantom, really want colors that I like. Thinking about priming up a squad of guardians and just painting each a different pattern til I find something I like...
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

In the middle of a fustercluck of grimdark I can zoom around on sleek, art-deco grav tanks? YES PLEASE!

Chaplain

I've never liked playing human armies. If I'm given a choice, I almost always choose a non-human character/army. Also, I prefer speed to toughness. Eldar just seemed the natural choice.

Power level wise, I've never thought the army was over powered until this edition. Never played 2nd edition so I can't speak to that era.

I play a lot of armies, Eldar for me is about the bright colours, it's a change to paint something that isn't grim and dark. Of course I know there are 'bright' marines too but still.... Not quite like the pointy eared tree hugging hippies... haha
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast