BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

1) Fluff - mainly the ex-supreme race/verge of extinction/tech humans can't comprehend etc
    2) Models/style - original metal Scorpions and Banshees are what brought me into the game
    3) Overall look - the only army where every unit being a completely different combo of mixed, bright colours works absolutely fine
    4) Not a main thing but the 'Path of' series of Black Library books really got me back into the Eldar mood swing of things
    www.rebelsgrotto.blogspot.com - Go visit, you know you want to!

Like Eldar_Atog (and probably many others in that topic) I've always preffered speed to brute strength/toughness. Elves are my favourite race in Pen&Paper RPG, cRPG, I've played HE and WE in WHFB long before my first encounter with 40K.
    I'm also big fan of Tolkien's Silmarillion and when I first heard about Eldar in 40K (many, maaaany years ago) I thought "meh, they even steal that cool name of Firstborn..." But then I saw their miniatures and my second thought was (to quote Crimson Turkey) "In the middle of a fustercluck of grimdark I can zoom around on sleek, art-deco grav tanks? YES PLEASE!"
    Last edited by Finnegan; 04-29-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

When I started 40k, I saw the artwork on the 3rd ed codex, I thought "That guy looks mint", so I bought the book and read the background. I was hooked immediately.

It's everything about the Eldar that appeals to me. The beauty of their race, their arrogance and their desperate need to see themselves survive for as long as possible.

This fluff motivation keeps me going through every game I play. The models are stunning IMHO, as well as the varied paint schemes that can be applied.

In a nutshell what Eldargal said: The aesthetic and the background.

FEAR THE RAINBOW!!

Brother-Captain

Style and backstory. I also enjoy how they play.

Seeing serpent spam makes me a sad Eldar fan.

Biel-Tan for me, death of fire, blood and rainbows. Most of the time in my force it's only the vehicles and HQ that have the craftworld colours, unless I'm playing a particularly big game, then the Guardians and Wraiths come out, which I feel is a fluffy way of doing things. I love the idea of the massive force of deadly aspect warriors telling the militia to stay at home and strolling out to 'mow the lawn'.

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Most of the time in my force it's only the vehicles and HQ that have the craftworld colours...
    I have found a quite easy way to weave in my Alaitoc colors onto the aspects without disrupting their color scheme. For Banshees it was a dark Blue Loincloth and a yellow bandage around her leg, for falcons i was a dark blue helmet with yellow ventail, ect

Brother-Captain

I plan to eventually have a ghost-army of Iyanden; after I've finished collecting an entire armored battalion (29 leman russ tanks so far...).

They make for such great background lore and are also not too shabby on the board top either.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTurkey View Post
    In the middle of a fustercluck of grimdark I can zoom around on sleek, art-deco grav tanks? YES PLEASE!
    pmsl.>>> but yes something along these lines; pointy ears / tails / forehead ridges; something different and 'eternal' - though they seem to 'die' quicker than you can say - "but I'm initiative 5! - I can see for 5 miles and shoot a bow while 'boarding' down the trunk of an elephant"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Style and backstory. I also enjoy how they play.

Seeing serpent spam makes me a sad Eldar fan.

^ this... serpents as per fluff should get a ONCE only use from their shields - would solve the whole issue - both in competition and friendly games!; always suspect that a lot of green womble major ball drops are just poor editing / checking and they dont have the gumption to own up to it !

Brother-Captain

I love the Eldar because I was introduced to them when I was twelve and the things I liked about them then are the things I like about them now. You get robot zombies, dudes that wear ninja star guns on their faces and use chainsaw swords, all your guys go to special ninja school or are retired from ninja school or are a nerd that can/will flip out and kill dudes. And let us not forget the friggin Avatar of Khaine, a statue so angry it melts its insides and spews Evil Dead amounts of gore from its hand! The only things they've lost that I miss are their wicked mohawks and power fists on Guardians.

Because they are frikkin cool!

Seriously though, the aesthetic and the back ground is why for me.

Mostly because they have a fluff and design which reminds me of the si-fi version of the Elfs in my alltimefavorite RPG (the dark eye/ Das schwarze Auge. Yes, it is older then GW's Eldar)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast