BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Old war gear question

Hi everyone, i recently acquired an old school predator. i think it was from 3rd? or 2nd? it looks more like a current imperial guard tank than it does space marine tank.
    anyways, reading through the instructions it lists some of the wargear you can put on the tank like the search light or storm bolter. one of the entries says "autolauncher." i was wondering what that did or if it was even an option. the tank came with other smoke launchers so i'm not sure what this one does. so if any of you older or "wiser" players remember what it does let me know.
    it looks pretty cool, just curious on what it does. thanks
    40k: Yme-loc Eldar
    Fantasy: Ogres! lots of ogres!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Davo View Post
    Hi everyone, i recently acquired an old school predator. i think it was from 3rd? or 2nd? it looks more like a current imperial guard tank than it does space marine tank.
    anyways, reading through the instructions it lists some of the wargear you can put on the tank like the search light or storm bolter. one of the entries says "autolauncher." i was wondering what that did or if it was even an option. the tank came with other smoke launchers so i'm not sure what this one does. so if any of you older or "wiser" players remember what it does let me know.
    it looks pretty cool, just curious on what it does. thanks
    That's probably either the old frag launchers or the smoke launchers.

I don't know the rules for it, but Lexicanum [url=http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Auto-launcher#.U2HCI_ldV8E]describes it[/url] as a sort of close-in defense grenade launcher. No equivalent in the current codex, sounds like.

EDIT: I do have the rules for it. An auto-launcher could fire two salvos of three grenades each, all of a single type - frag, krak, or blind - and could fire in addition to a vehicle's normal firing. The launcher fired three grenades in a spread 6" directly ahead of the launcher (the first grenade always landed 6" directly ahead of the launcher; the other two deviated d3" from that point). Definitely nothing comparable in the current codex.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 04-30-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Occuli Imperator

Yup it was basically an anti-assault weapon for the tank. They have morphed into smoke launchers.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Yup it was basically an anti-assault weapon for the tank. They have morphed into smoke launchers.
    Yeah, they were equipped with smoke grenades, typically. To create a smoke screen in 2nd.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    EDIT: I do have the rules for it. An auto-launcher could fire two salvos of three grenades each, all of a single type - frag, krak, or blind - and could fire in addition to a vehicle's normal firing. The launcher fired three grenades in a spread 6" directly ahead of the launcher (the first grenade always landed 6" directly ahead of the launcher; the other two deviated d3" from that point). Definitely nothing comparable in the current codex.
    ha thats awesome. theyshould bring it back for seventh edition. it could make tanks better but assault that much worse i guess... lol maybe not
    40k: Yme-loc Eldar
    Fantasy: Ogres! lots of ogres!