BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyranid Codex

Ok, follow up question. What are the odds in the second round of combat? Genestealers lose an attack each as well as the attacks from the probable two dead genestealers. At what point does the squad of Sm start to turn the tide, if ever?

Chapter-Master

With 8.4 genestealers left...
    That's 16.8 attacks, 5.6 wounds with 1.87 rends, and 1.24 failed saves. 3.1 dead Marines. So there'd be one or two Marines left after a round of combat.

What is the max squad size for genestealers? If you could get, say, 12 naked genestealers in a squad, that'd probably produce an extra dead Marine or two, enough to ensure the combat ends on the second round.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

What is the squad size for genestealers? I Know they use to be 12, but I read somewhere they are now 20.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah, Genestealers are 5-20. One of them becomes a Broodlord if you wish to make the upgrade. 20 infiltrating/outflanking stealers is sick.
    Embarking =/= Nemesis Force Weapon

Took a look at the english codex today as well.

One thing that stood out to me was that the early translations of the german codex neglected to mention that the "Where is it?" rule on Death Leaper HALVES the night-fight distance any unit attempting to shoot it must roll.

While I had been envious of his special rules before, I still felt he suffered too greatly from the same weakness as regular lictors - that single round of shooting your opponent will get on him once he appears, even if they had to test for night fighting.

However, with a halved distance on top of that, it completely turns things around - the maximum range an opponent can roll to see him is within his fleet range, meaning you can set him up at a middling range (13-14" depending on how cautious you want to be) and safely expect them to roll under that in their attempts to fire on you, then fleet assault them.

This may be the first special character I've ever included in an army list, as not only is he good for his points, he's everything Lictors should be and more. I can't resist taking him simply out of a love of the sneaky little monsters themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Madjob View Post
    Took a look at the english codex today as well.

One thing that stood out to me was that the early translations of the german codex neglected to mention that the "Where is it?" rule on Death Leaper HALVES the night-fight distance any unit attempting to shoot it must roll.

While I had been envious of his special rules before, I still felt he suffered too greatly from the same weakness as regular lictors - that single round of shooting your opponent will get on him once he appears, even if they had to test for night fighting.

However, with a halved distance on top of that, it completely turns things around - the maximum range an opponent can roll to see him is within his fleet range, meaning you can set him up at a middling range (13-14" depending on how cautious you want to be) and safely expect them to roll under that in their attempts to fire on you, then fleet assault them.

This may be the first special character I've ever included in an army list, as not only is he good for his points, he's everything Lictors should be and more. I can't resist taking him simply out of a love of the sneaky little monsters themselves.
    I agree. I am quickly developing a man crush on the Death Leaper after play testing him.

Librarian

Unhappy

Got my codex in the post today. As an Ultramarine / Imperial guard player i can truly say that

ITS TERRIHYING SCARY!!!

Tervigon, Harpy & Venomthrope all spell bad news for the 40K universe.

Quote Originally Posted by david5th View Post
    Got my codex in the post today. As an Ultramarine / Imperial guard player i can truly say that

ITS TERRIHYING SCARY!!!

They Harpy seems like one of the last things to be afraid of in my opinion. The tervigon is going to be a pain for other players but I don't see the spam working like others envision. I don't plan on taking more than two Tervigons. I am still trying to figure out venomthropes in play testing. They can actually be nasty if you can keep them alive. I have been hiding them behind other MC's. A tyrant with a few guard backed up with a venomthrope using them is cover is a nasty combo.

I am still trying to decide if I like the new dex. There seem to be some weird internal balance issues. Nids have changed so much it is like playing a different army. After about 15 test games ranging from 1000 points up to 2000 I am a bit worried about IG and SW. SW seem to have an answer for everything Tyranid and IG can bring down an obscene amount of firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by david5th View Post

ITS TERRIHYING SCARY!!!

I was going to say lucky you, but seeing as you are not a 'Nid player Ptttppppttttttt! Just kidding, lucky you got it early. But seeing you are an UM/IG player you have the weapons and manpower to take them out. So how come you so worried about them?

Librarian

Smile

Problem will be the manpower vs firepower equation. Too much of one and not enough of the other and i've found out against horde armies that your deadmeat.

Like everything in life it's a question of balance.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast