BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you think 40k will benefit from Percentage FOC limits?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 41.79%
  • No

28 41.79%
  • Not Sure

11 16.42%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Do you think 40k will benefit from Percentage FOC limits?

Given the recent rumor put on the site about the rumored upcoming 40k 6.5/7th edition having Percentage Force Organization Chart limits similar to the one in Warhammer Fantasy, [URL="http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/04/40k-7th-edition-early-rumblings-rules.html"]which you can see here![/URL]

How do you feel this will effect 40k, do you think it will benefit the game and encourage more balanced list or do you think it will restrict players too much?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Chapter-Master

The FoC replaced percentage limits from 2nd edition.
    Really you have one or the other. Both is just silly.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Reposting:

Doesnt really work with 40k though.

say you play chaos, but want a terminator themed list?

well the cost difference in terminators compared to cultists means that you are unable to have a significant portion of your force be terminators in a standard 1850 game.

Percentages put huge constraints of themed lists that do not have core troops that fit the theme

EDIT:
    one marine specific example.

under likely percentage rules (from the recent BoLS article) a space marine terminator squad is not allowed to purchase a dedicated land raider in games of less than 1850 (and not even that with certain load outs)

stupid idea

edit2: All percentages are llikely to do is drive the game even further to hyper-efficient builds, in poarticular ones that rely either on a single hammer unit that draws its percentage allotment from multiple areas (HQ, ELITE, ALLIES) OR towards spamming effective troops choices and not considering anything else beyond a few force multipliers

edit3: so essentially percentages in 40k would

limit possible themed builds
    hinter entire units structures thus driving the size of the game to higher points to include them
    not likely combat the 2 perceived problems of spam or deathstars
    But as a member of the hive, I can imagine that they'd be pretty pissed being told they cant field 2 hive tyrants.....actually 2 anything

see the only other Tyranid HQ unit that would fit in the list with a hive tyrant and fit under the proposed caps would be say deathleaper or a tyranid prime.....

Look you can believe what you want, and these are only rumours, but for the reasons I pointed out in my original post I dont think that percentages would do for the game what you would want....and variety is not something they are likely to introduce

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    But you also get silly stuff like unlimited numbers of 3 man melta gun squads with coteaz, or single-man hammer paladins with draigo all able to fire off their holocaust psychic blast power individually using the brotherhood of psykers rule. Like many things, it could work if the game was re-designed from scratch but the shackles of the current codex range bite hard.

On the flip side, I don't want to have to take 25% (or worse 40%!) of boring to paint and play daemon troops to field a valid daemon army.
    this too
    Yes percentages were in 2nd en. But the change from 2nd to 3rd involved the complete reconstruction of army list organization away from the fantasy style it used to be. Under the current style without an unreasonable number of rules exceptions % wouldn't work
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Yes but there would need to be some kind of exemption for dedicated transports.

I'm all for it myself.

Sure, some combinations won't be seen in smaller games. Perhaps there's a reason for that?

Dedicated transports would be a bit of an issue for those wanting a fully transported army, but that all depends on the percentage allowance for each section.

And I for one welcome more characters into the game, if HQ went the Warhammer route of 25% of your points. We'd see more support type characters used, which would in turn really change up how armies play. Take CSM. If we saw 25% character allowance, you could field a Cultist horde, all lead into battle by Dark Apostles.

No, I don't care whether it's 'viable' or 'sub-optimal', on account those definitions are so subjective it's not funny....but it would be thematically cool!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

All these problems are solved by simple saying <25% (but may be exceeded by a single unit and it's dedicated transport). Bam, done.

That way Guard can still have a squadron of Russ's, Terminators can still have a transport and spam of multiple units is prevented.

Anything that changes up the game and discourages big, expensive units in smaller games where they have more effect is great with me, I won a 1000 point tournament this weekend mostly because I was using TH/SS Terminators, they utterly dominated and I felt bad for using them once I realised.

A battle of less than 1850 probably SHOULDN'T have a Land Raider and Terminators, they wouldn't dedicate those resources to a smaller fight, after all! The percentage system in Fantasy is great, it means you don't get the Big Bad Leader of your Race taking part in little skirmishes, they're reserved for the bigger battles.

After having some time to think about it, I'm worried about it's execution being a Grey Knight player most of my units are very expensive so I'll be only really be able to afford 1 fast attack and heavy support using my Interceptors and a tooled up Dreadknight worst I'll have to ditch my 2 rifle dreads as I'll be over the rumored 25% 375pt limit.
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    After having some time to think about it, I'm worried about it's execution being a Grey Knight player most of my units are very expensive so I'll be only really be able to afford 1 fast attack and heavy support using my Interceptors and a tooled up Dreadknight worst I'll have to ditch my 2 rifle dreads as I'll be over the rumored 25% 375pt limit.
    Thats not a bad thing, that encourages you to use a more sensible and troop heavy, and fluffy, deployment. Do you really think not using a Dreadknight and 2 Dreads with Cheese-rifles is a bad thing?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    The FoC replaced percentage limits from 2nd edition.
    Really you have one or the other. Both is just silly.
    I think the idea is that you have the Percentages and that invalidates the FOC.
    Last edited by Lord Asterion; 05-01-2014 at 06:53 AM.

Chapter-Master

So back to second edition then.
    Think then it was upto 50% any group but minimum 25% on troops, though may be wrong, slept since then...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast