BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Help Me Kit My Next Tactical Squad

As a Blood Angels player, I'm understandably not really into tactical squads. I usually employ assault marines and sniper scouts for my objective grabbing and fire support needs. However, I do own one tactical squad, and after buying some phobos-pattern boltguns from Forgeworld (those are the ones with the miniature chain-bayonets!) I've decided to make a second squad.

The question is, how to kit them out to best compliment the one I've already got.

Oh, sure, of course, I plan to eventually have enough spare marines of various kit that I can field either of my two squads in any configuration. The question, though, is what's the most efficient way to build the kit I just got?

My existing squad has a sergeant with a power fist and a boltgun, a dude with a flamer, and a dude with a heavy bolter. They're meant to be a forward squad, with a power fist for smashing things and a flamer and heavy bolter because both generate more hits in Overwatch, and the latter is a good choice if I need to snap shoot (more shots = more hits).

For my second squad, I was thinking of more of a mid to long range fire support role. Maybe a plasma gun and a lascannon? Or plasma cannon? Or even just a missile launcher. And a storm bolter on the sergeant (to maximize shots at range)?

What do you think?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Missile launcher, plasma gun, sgt with bolter/bolt pistol. Bolters already can reach out and touch at 24" albeit one shot but is the extra shot your gonna get from the storm bolter worth the points? I guess it's up to you.

You can never have too many plasma cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    You can never have too many plasma cannon.
    I don't like the risk of the, "get's hot"

What about a Lascannon instead of the Plasma Cannon?

I would take advantage of the combat squads rule, and split them into 2 5-man units, one babysitting a heavy weapon (probably a lascannon) and the other with a plasma gun and combi-plasma/stormbolter if you have the points. Get one long ranged objective holder with some punch, and a mobile mid-range unit to mop up after your assault squads.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    I would take advantage of the combat squads rule, and split them into 2 5-man units, one babysitting a heavy weapon (probably a lascannon) and the other with a plasma gun and combi-plasma/stormbolter if you have the points. Get one long ranged objective holder with some punch, and a mobile mid-range unit to mop up after your assault squads.
    I agree. Take advantage of combat squads...personally, I like a missile launcher in one and a flamer and combi-flamer in the other. I don't like the gets hot! rule either...tend to kill my own troops that way.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Yeah, not a huge fan of plasma either, but the OP wanted a unit to compliment the short ranged nature of most of his army and in particular his other tactical squad. Could still do it just fine with melta or flamer instead of plasma, although I wouldn't bother with a stormbolter with a meltagun, but the stormbolter works better with a flamer than a plasmagun though
    Last edited by Haighus; 05-03-2014 at 07:35 AM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Veteran-Sergeant

If plasma isn't your thing, melta should fit the role just as well, and don't Blood Angel Sgts have access to melts pistol?

Chapter-Master

I have made one decision: I am going to build the missile launcher guy from the kit. That backpack is way too awesome not to. Now, I have some spare lascannon and plasma cannon guys kicking around, and some of them don't have kneepads (I use kneepad color to determine squad type, because there's little enough red on the model otherwise that using helmet color would clash too much) so I can easily alternate them between devastator squad and part of the tactical squad.

I'm inclined towards plasma gun and combi-plasma on the sergeant because I feel that melta fits better on my assault squads. As an Assault weapon and a short-ranged weapon, I'd rather get my melta needs met by tactical squads who are generally faster and want to be able to assault the target (or whatever was riding inside it) in the next phase. Anyway, with a combi-plas on the sergeant and a missile launcher on the other guy, I can combat squad them into a forward five capable of delivering a decent punch or a back squad acting as spotters and ablative wounds for a BS 4 missile launcher. Not bad.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast