BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    Veteran-Sergeant

Ironic how this whole thing seems to be related to confusion with 4th edition rules, too. A dear friend of mine once said:

No, the Doom of Malan'Tai can't kill guys in transports. That this is even a question(for anyone) is a product of poor comprehension of the overall ruleset.
    I'm certainly up to date on the rules... you're thinking of asking me to be a judge, aren't you?

(I'm done, I promise. You love me.)
    Embarking =/= Nemesis Force Weapon

Default A Summary

OK, I spent a few hours on a plane (love in-flight wifi) reading through 35 pages of this thread.

The argument AGAINST the power affecting an embarked unit is basically that it is not on the table. Which I find flawed. You take the unit of the table because there is no way to cram those models into that Rhino! It is that simple. The argument that JWolf makes is that it ISN'T on the table unless it does something. I mean, honestly, that just sounds ridiculous "My unit only counts as being on the table when it does something, and thus it benefits me". So you get all the benefits, but no downside.

I find the best explanation FOR the power affecting the unit to be this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifis View Post
    You cannot compare the Mawloc to this. They are in no way similar. The Mawloc is removed from the table (the unit is removed from the table, as well as the model) and placed into reserve. By definition, if it is in Reserve, it isn't on the table.

Units in transports is a different matter entirely. The embarked unit is inside the transport.

Now again, let us go back to the rules governing transports:

"If players need to measure a range involving the unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull"

Now, if somehow you still fail to grasp the implications of this, I'll break it down into smaller chunks.

"If players need to" This is for BOTH players, not just for the owning player.

"measure a range". Fairly simple, yes? We're measuring a range. 6" from the Doom of Malan'Tai.

"involving the unit". Also fairly simple. The embarked unit is non-vehicle, so is involved.

"(except for its shooting)". This isn't the embarked unit shooting. Moving on.

"this range is measured" This is the important part, telling us HOW to measure...

"to and from the vehicle's hull".

We can measure TO, and we can measure FROM, the transport vehicle's hull to determine if the transported unit is within range. If the transport is within range, the embarked unit is within range.

The vehicle itself not being affected is irrelevant, as we have already proven that embarked units don't magically "become one" with their transport.

Take it for what it is. But that is what I synthesized 35 pages down into. A lot of nonsense, a lot of irrelevant posts. A lot of explanations with no basis in the rules. But the ones that were coherent came down to those two arguments and I just don't see any real support for the first.

Thanks though. A lot of really well thought out posts, and the whole thread was basically rather civil.

Alec

Great note to end the thread on.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435