BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Raven Guard successor - 1750 points

Just wrapping up modeling/painting my Raven Guard successor chapter army. Have a list locked in for 1750, I can scale it down to 1250 and 1500 if needed, depending on my opponent.

What's your thoughts of the list itself? What type of tactics would you use with the army list?

HQ
    Shrike-185

Chaplain-105
    Jump Pack

TROOPS
    Tactical Squad-200
    5 additional SM, Plasma Gun, Combi-plasma, Rhino

Tactical Squad-200

Scout Squad-84
    1 additional Scout, 6x Camo Cloaks, 6x Sniper Rifles

Scout Squad-115
    5 additional Scouts, 1x Melta Bombs

ELITES
    Vanguard Veteran Squad-110
    5x Jump Pack

Dreadnought-120
    2x Twin-link Auto Cannon

FAST ATTACK
    Assault Squad-200
    5 additional SM, 2x Flamer, 1x Power Sword, 1x Melta Bombs

Assault Squad-200
    5 additional SM, 2x Flamer, 1x Power Sword, 1x Melta Bombs

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Devastator Squad-230
    5 additional SM, 2x Missile Launchers w/flakk, 2x Lascannon

TOTAL-1749

I'm modeling the 2x Plasma Guns, 2x Combi-Plasma Guns, 2x Flamers and the 1x extra Sniper Scout at the moment. Once I'm done with those the army will be 98% WYSIWYG, last thing is to convert the Dreadnought.

If I want to increase the points to 2000 I'd likely add below.

Change 1 of the Scouts in the Sniper Squad from a sniper rifle to missile launcher - +14 points

Add a Sternguard Veteran Squad, 1 additional SM, 5x Combi-weapons, 1x Heavy Flamer, Rhino OR Drop Pod - +237 point

Brother-Captain

Upgrade the assault sergeants to veterans to make the most of the power sword.

Brother-Sergeant

I'm not sure if it's too late for the Vanguard Veterans or not, but what gear do they have? Do they come stock with power weapons? If you're paying all those points for them and not giving them any toys, it's a waste... just pretend they're regular assault marines. An extra attack on them is worthless unless they have weapons to really do some damage. I'd equip a couple with storm shields to take look out sir hits off of Shrike, and give one of them a hammer. Maybe another a LC and melta bombs.

I like the scouted plasma squad rhinos.

I agree with the comments on the assault squad veteram sgt upgrade to get an extra attack out of the power sword.

Your only anit-air seems to be the 2 flakk missiles, correct? I typically don't like them because they're so expensive, but if that's your only defense then I'd probably combat squad them so that the lascannons don't have to be wasted on fliers (unless the flakk fail to do damage and you're desperate). I suppose the dread can get lucky too.

As for upgrading any further from 1750, you need to revisit your anti-air support. Add fliers or dual Stalkers/Hunters. I personally feel that for just around 200 points you can add a Stormtalon and Hunter/Stalker and then just give the devs all lascannons. I would not give the scouts a missile launcher... they suck at shooting so that's a waste. Sternguard in a pod could be nice if you use them to hit heavy armor because that may give you problems (5 sternguard in a pod with 5 combi-meltas).

Hope that helps!

Brother-Captain

I think the list is solid. You don't need to add any more AA and you don't need a flyer. You've got a nice solid Troop section that can give you a flexible firing line to draw upon at need, able to advance or defend. Your sniper scouts can help pick off pesky things and MCs; the melta-bomb scouts are great for out-flanking and killing any arty hiding in a corner; whatever you do, don't stick Shrike *and* the Chaplain in the same squad, I'd put the Chaplain in the Vanguard squad and Shrike in a normal Assault Squad; and last but not least - when you do decide to get a Sternguard Squad (and I highly recommend them), do not dilute their special ammunition abilities by giving one of them a heavy flamer, it's far better to only give them combi-weapons and the delivery system of either a Rhino or a DP can depend upon the type of army you know you'll be playing again: rhino against horde armies and small model count armies, DP against mechanized and heavy support oriented armies.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Upgrade the assault sergeants to veterans to make the most of the power sword.
    I like the idea, just need to squeeze 20 points out of something else. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by xTHExCLINCHERx View Post
    I'm not sure if it's too late for the Vanguard Veterans or not, but what gear do they have?
    They come stock with BP & Chainswords. As they are listed now they have no upgrades. Yet I have them modeled 2x BP & PW, 2x PP & PW and 1x BP & PF, not that any of that really matters, it's just for show. Ideally I'm thinking 3x TH & SS, 2x Dual-LCs or 2x TH & SS, 3x Dual-LCs.

Your only anit-air seems to be the 2 flakk missiles, correct? I typically don't like them because they're so expensive, but if that's your only defense then I'd probably combat squad them so that the lascannons don't have to be wasted on fliers (unless the flakk fail to do damage and you're desperate). I suppose the dread can get lucky too.
    My plan with the Devastator Squad is to combat squad them. 2x ML in one 5-man group and 2x LC in the other 5-man group.

As for upgrading any further from 1750, you need to revisit your anti-air support. Add fliers or dual Stalkers/Hunters. I personally feel that for just around 200 points you can add a Stormtalon and Hunter/Stalker and then just give the devs all lascannons. I would not give the scouts a missile launcher... they suck at shooting so that's a waste. Sternguard in a pod could be nice if you use them to hit heavy armor because that may give you problems (5 sternguard in a pod with 5 combi-meltas).
    I'm not a huge fan on adding more armor/tank units, yes I know I have 2x Rhinos but they work great. To me Raven Guard fluff doesn't fit those units all too much. Granted tactically speaking adding more might be best. The Stormtalon and Hunter/Stalker combo is interesting, will def be playing with that idea.

Scouts with ML sucks. Yes I see that now, def a waste of points there.

As for the DP with Sternguard it's just a solid choice in just about any army list. Can't go wrong there. Kinda my last option if need be.

I love Raven Guard, and this list to me looks pretty solid. Some things I would personally add to the list is two Hunters and upgrading the vanguards. In my Raven Guard list I ally with Iron Hands and take a Chapter Master w/ Gorgans Chain, Thunder Hammer + Lightning Claw, Digital Weapons and a Jump Pack. This guy allows my Vanguards to tank SOME wounds dealt by those nasty Str 9 weapons.

I've updated the list. I removed the Rifleman Dreadnought to make room for the upgrade Vanguard Veteran Squad. I also had to drop 1x Sniper Scout and Melta Bombs from the other Scout Squad's Sgt. This puts me at 1750 exactly. I'm really liking this list and if it plays well I won't make the jump to 2000 points.

HQ
    Shrike-185

Chaplain-105
    Jump Pack

TROOPS
    Tactical Squad-200

Tactical Squad-200

Scout Squad-70
    5x Camo Cloaks, 5x Sniper Rifles

Scout Squad-110