BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default flyers ! does it zoom does it hover ?

about to experiment with some flyers in a mixed eldar force and cannot reconcile rules on p81.brb

p81 para 5: "A flyer that leaves combat airspace MUST zoom back on when it returns from ongoing reserves, EVEN if it has the hover type"

p81 para 16: "A flyer with the 'hover' type, MUST declare whether it is going to hover or zoom before it moves each movement phase. This means that IF the flyer arrives from reserves,you must declare which type of movement it is using before placing it on the board."

So does this genuinely mean that a flyer can 'choose' either mode, if permitted to, when it arrives from 'reserve' [ie the first time it comes into play], but if arriving from 'ongoing reserve' it MUST zoom?

or has this been FAQ'd and ive lost the plot?

Chaplain

Flyers arriving from Reserve are Zooming, even if they Deep Strike or have the Hover profile, at the start of the movement phase of the flyer has the hover profile it can choose to switch movement types

Hmm, actually that would seem like that when the aircraft first arrives from the reserves it can choose zoom or hoover, but when it comes from the ongoing reserves it must always zoom. (assumption made on the basis on daves writings, dont have my brb at the work )

key here is p81 para 5: ongoingreserves imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Flyers arriving from Reserve are Zooming, even if they Deep Strike or have the Hover profile, at the start of the movement phase of the flyer has the hover profile it can choose to switch movement types

I am just checking my understanding. No major tactical problem. A flyer ALREADY deployed [ie the turn AFTER it arrived from reserve] may change flight 'mode', a flyer deploying from 'RESERVE' may choose its flight mode; BUT as per BRB a flyer that chooses [or is forced] to leave the table MUST deploy from 'ONGOING RESERVE' in 'ZOOM' mode.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    I've never been sure how deepstrike works with flyers. It isn't usually an issue with GW removing the rule from their flyers, but I have a FW flyer. It would be nice for some clarification on how this works.

Edit: Ignore this, just spent 15 minutes reading through the relevant sections of the rule book and have cleared it up for myself.
    Last edited by Haighus; 05-07-2014 at 06:31 AM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.