BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Wing?

You're trying to put "video" and "quality batrep" in the same conceptual space, that's never going to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Also, good lord does it feel like playing X-Wing or TIE Fighter (the computer games from the '90s) in miniatures form. Really great job of capturing the feel of Star Wars dogfighting, not just interesting mechanics on their own.
    K now that interests me, as I really enjoyed those games (and I would kill for a current gen starfighter game of any stripe on the PS3/PS4)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Nah I wouldn't want it dumbing down to console level.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I love x-wing because: It's simple to get started but has endless possibilities. The rules are very straightforward and well supported by FFG's FAQs, meaning you don't get any of the arguments commonly found in games like WH40k. You play on a 3'x3' table/board, so it's perfect for playing at home. Even though you only have a handful of models it still feels like a full game. As soon as you finish playing one game you want to play another, and then another.

Simple solution to your quandary mate, get somebody to teach you over a few games, then you'll be hooked.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    You're trying to put "video" and "quality batrep" in the same conceptual space, that's never going to end well.
    admittedly yeah with some exceptions - just look at Team0Comp for player quality and sheer level of hilariously inappropriate banter or StrikingScorpion88 for models and terrain (no offence to Reece and crew but that guy has you beat, especially on the terrain front...)
    Back to X-Wing, let me rephrase that "quality" into "fun to watch and know what they're doing"...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Brother-Captain

A pretty good (and fun) introduction to X-Wing courtesy of the awesome Youtube tv show that is Tabletop!

Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    K now that interests me, as I really enjoyed those games (and I would kill for a current gen starfighter game of any stripe on the PS3/PS4)
    MM there is a community of X-Wing Alliance players who have modded it up to W7...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    A pretty good (and fun) introduction to X-Wing courtesy of the awesome Youtube tv show that is Tabletop!

Simultaneous rolling of attack and defense die, rerolling for your target locks on missle attacks, boosting by stacking templates...

X-WING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

...ahem.

Easy to learn,
    hard to master,
    tactical depth,
    very well balanced.

A good site to read about X-Wing: [url]http://teamcovenant.com[/url]
    They also organise tournaments on VASSAL. I think their latest one is a X-Wing league. 144 participants from 20 different countries.

They also have a youtube channel: [url]https://www.youtube.com/user/CovenantTCG/videos?shelf_id=7&sort=dd&tag_id=UCT0_zqao2b2kJBe-bmF_0og.3.star-wars-x-wing-miniatures&view=46[/url]

Their video of the 2013 World Championship Final is very well done and shows how balanced the game is. I won't spoiler it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast