BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Wing?

Scout

I'm very tempted. I was thinking of getting two reasonably well matched fleets so I can play against my son and brother-in-law (both massive star wars fans like me).

I was planning to get 2xgame boxes plus and tie advanced (darth vadar!!!) and a Y-wing (so we can say "stay on target!"). Would that be a good starter for noobs?

(Not a noob for warhammer, 40k since rogue trader days, 2nd ed warhammer)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Donga
    My painted stuff, if the link works...

You can have fun matches with that. I love flying the slow but sturdy Y-Wing. Especially with an Ion Turret.
    Of course your squadrons will be somewhat limited, but you can have very fun battles already. There's really only the HWK-290 I wouldn't recommend starting with, since you need better knowledge of the game mechanics to make it work. Everything else is fine.

The Tie-Advanced is generally seen as a little weaker ship. Weaker meaning, you won't notice much difference (not 40k-style weaker :P ). And Darth Vaders ability makes it a solid and fun ship to fly anyway.
    But I wouldn't recommend buying more than one until FFG gives it a little boost. Like they did with the Tie-Interceptor and soon the A-Wing.

EDIT: Just to be clear. 2x starter box is the best value you can get. I was only commenting on the Y-Wing and Tie-Advanced.
    Last edited by Weidekuh; 05-15-2014 at 04:01 PM.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Donga View Post
    I'm very tempted. I was thinking of getting two reasonably well matched fleets so I can play against my son and brother-in-law (both massive star wars fans like me).

I was planning to get 2xgame boxes plus and tie advanced (darth vadar!!!) and a Y-wing (so we can say "stay on target!"). Would that be a good starter for noobs?

(Not a noob for warhammer, 40k since rogue trader days, 2nd ed warhammer)
    also, probably includea blister of both the XWing and TIE in your first purchases - gives you a bunch more fun pilots to use with the ships you already have!
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Quick question about 'Tie Swarm'.

I've seen it mentioned that this is a bit overpowered and unbalancing..... But is it actually a bit unfair, or just sour grapes from people who haven't figured a decent counter to it? Because TIE Swarm is effectively the prime tactic of the Empire all the time ever. Hence the lack of shields and hyperdrives. They're disposable!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Quick question about 'Tie Swarm'.

I've seen it mentioned that this is a bit overpowered and unbalancing..... But is it actually a bit unfair, or just sour grapes from people who haven't figured a decent counter to it? Because TIE Swarm is effectively the prime tactic of the Empire all the time ever. Hence the lack of shields and hyperdrives. They're disposable!
    Think of a Tie Swarm as the equivalent of a green tide in 40k, not unbeatable or unfair but a bit daunting to play against.
    "It is better to die for the emperor than live for yourself."

There is nothing that is unbeatable in X-Wing. Tie Swarms are good, because they are very reliable. Bad rolls don't hurt you so much, because you have a lot of redundancy. And shooting with 6-7 ships means, you will do some damage, even if every attack is only strength 2.

The key to fighting swarms is pulling them into asteroids and breaking their formation apart. Then picking them one by one. Killing Howlrunner early is important. She does hugely buff the ties around her. Also asteroid placement is very important.

EDIT: Tie Swarms are not imbalanced. But you need to know how to fight them. Else they are pretty hard to beat. That's probably the reason why some people see it as a bit though. If you just run straight at it, you'll basicly die.
    Last edited by Weidekuh; 05-27-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123