BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Studio Workshop - How to: Paint Simple OSL

Welcome back to the Game Face Nation Studio Workshop!

This week we're teaching how to achieve a simple OSL effect on your miniatures without using an airbrush. OSL stands for Object Source Lighting and refers to painting the effect of light being cast off of a light source and reflecting off of the surfaces around it. This can be used to create the impression of glowing plasma, torches, lanterns, lasers, magical runes, etc. In this videos we paint the gem in the center of this chaos chosen's chest to look like it's glowing with an angry red light.

Keep an eye out for next week's video on using oil washes on your miniatures.

Enjoy and don't hesitate to like, comment and share this video. We really appreciate your support!

Until next time, get your Game Face on!

That's proper OSL! Most people just exaggerate it and it looks awful! You have to take into account that it's going to be viewed in daylight or near and then image how much a coloured light in daylight would light up!

That's proper OSL, most people just exaggerate it and it ends up looking awful! Take into account the fact that it's daylight so there's limit to how visible it is!

Thanks a lot for this video! This will definitely help me get a nice glow to my models.

Thanks for the comments and you're welcome for the tutorial! We're all happy you found it to be useful. We try to maintain a once a week video release every Monday morning, so keep your eyes peeled.

Also if you have a tutorial request, we're always taking ideas for future tutorial projects. Please feel free to ask.

Scout

Awesome video. If I could pick your brain a moment? I'm building a Cygnar force, so tons of potential OSL. Would you suggest painting the model to completion, then adding the OSL effect? Thanks for your time.

The areas that are going to be receiving the OSL effect should be finished. The reason for this is because the lighting effect is the outermost layer of the miniature. I try to paint my miniatures from the inside out. In other words I try to paint the innermost or deepest parts of the mini first, and then move outward until I reach the outer layers of armor or clothing. Only then do I add weathering and OSL.