BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Every chapter that starts with "we dont know who our primarch is" is pretty suspicious.

If I recall correctly it's heavily suggested that the Charchardons are a 2nd founding Raven Guard Chapter made up of those that didn't turn out entirely right (but also not completely wrong either) from Corax's experiments.

The Blood Ravens are Thousand Sons successors, and it's everything but Facebook Official. The other ones, I'm less sure about...

Minotaurs feel like Iron Warriors successors. Brutal, Greek theme, well equipped, calculated fury, siege excellence. They're what the IW would have been if the Emperor had used them to their full potential.

Carcharadons are rumored to be Raven Guard, but could be Night Lords. Seeing as the marines are two sides of the good/evil coin it's hard to say. The problem is that we know little about the tactics of the Warhounds because they were replaced with the Butchers Nails, which is its own tactic.

In reading the Badab War I am surprised how many people miss the fact that it's a retelling of the Horus Heresy with the players flipped. Bear with me for a minute but I think you'll see the similarities.

We all know the heresy legions and their roles/sides so I will skip that piece.

Horus = Huron (even the name is similar) a charismatic leader who rebels against the strictures of the Imperium and coerces a number of chapters to back his cause.

This is where the sides change; Red Scorpions = Emperors Children, Minotaurs = Iron Warriors, Carcharodons = World Eaters, etc.

On the other side you have traitor versions of the Horus Heresy loyalists; Executioners = Imperial Fists, Mantis Warriors = White Scars, Lamenters = Blood Angels, etc.

I personally think this is a very cool study of nature vs nurture. How much impact did the heresy of the respective primarchs taint their legions versus the mere presence of their genetic material? Could The Emperor's Children remain loyal if Fulgrim had not turned?

Brother-Captain

We already know that upwards of 5,000 Space Marines from the various traitor legions did not follow their respective primarchs into the Heresy. Otherwise Horus would not have had to purge his own ranks at the Battle of Istvaan III. So clearly, while some legions are more genetically inclined to be submissive in following their respective primarchs (Word Bearers), it is not a clear-cut case of such being solely on the genetic level. The malign influence of Chaos has a much greater influence, in my opinion, than anything else.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by David Crossley View Post
    If I recall correctly it's heavily suggested that the Charchardons are a 2nd founding Raven Guard Chapter made up of those that didn't turn out entirely right (but also not completely wrong either) from Corax's experiments.
    It's all but stated outright in HH:3 Extermination, in the Raven Guard background section that the Charchardons are the successors of 19th Legion units that were effectively exiled from the legion when Corax took command for being a bit too bloodthirsty and ruthless.

Brother-Captain

Page Number?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by jifel View Post
    Minotaurs feel like Iron Warriors successors. Brutal, Greek theme, well equipped, calculated fury, siege excellence. They're what the IW would have been if the Emperor had used them to their full potential.

That's a really good point. Loyalist Iron Warriors would be plausible, since they were so spread out. I can't imagine they'd be taken in by the Imperial Fists, so forming their own chapter would be the ideal plan.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    We already know that upwards of 5,000 Space Marines from the various traitor legions did not follow their respective primarchs into the Heresy. Otherwise Horus would not have had to purge his own ranks at the Battle of Istvaan III. So clearly, while some legions are more genetically inclined to be submissive in following their respective primarchs (Word Bearers), it is not a clear-cut case of such being solely on the genetic level. The malign influence of Chaos has a much greater influence, in my opinion, than anything else.
    Whilst I agree with your point in principle i feel bound to point out that the Word Bearers did their purging early (Brotherhood), but even they still had to. In fact ofall the Chaos Legions they are the most likely to have had their gene seed re-used (no physical flaws) and least likely to have any reabsorbed into the loyal legions after the Heresy ('cos they were killing all their loyalist off before Horus even took his little coma jaunt with the ghosts of chaos christmas past and future).
    So keep you eye out for a violently intolerant bunch of marines with an overabundance of faith in the concept of a god emperor, they're probably from the......... oh wait that's all of them.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Initiate

interesting indeed, the Blood Ravens are all but flagged up as Thousand Sons successors and given the story through the Retribution campaign mood they fight off corruption with the pure few within their ranks its very believeable they are more so given the parallels such as gathering knowledge from any source regardless of it "chaosness" and guarding it the fact they were led by the librarians as opposed to the captains. Loyalist Iron Warriors yeah i can see that as I think that every legion held loyalists and with so many chapters created in the second founding it would have been easy for Guilliman to "sneak" those loyal survivors into the founding under new names fairly easily.

and yes the Dark Angels and their successors would be an example of a "fallen" legion that is still used in the process of making new chapters but its a very shaky arguement given only half the legion fell and it was more ego that caused it than outright chaos tendancies.

if i had to point a finger at some overly obsessed unforgiving marine chapter similar to that of the Word Bearers, the Iron Hands come to mind rather quickly as a possible sanctuary for survivors of the Word Bearers to go and hide and maybe be accepted.
    here today gone tomorrow?....nah fun is always here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast