BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Questions about FLGS's outside the US.

Greetings folks. I've been doing some research on FLGS's in the US, but I'm also interested in FLGS's around the world. So far I've contacted over two hundred stores in eighteen States. It didn't surprise me that in Sacramento CA we're pretty spoiled because we've got a store that can handle over forty 6x4 tables with room to spare. Even though we have a lot of FLGS's in the US, most are small and only have room for five tables or less. I've put them into three groups. 1-10 tables, 11-20 tables and over 20 tables.

I'm very curious about FLGS's outside the US, so I thought it would be a good idea to put the question to BOLS. What's the FLGS 'scene' like in your neck of the woods? How many 6x4 tables? Are multiple game systems supported/played? Does your store support regularly scheduled 'game nights' and/or tournaments?

Thanks in advance! I'm very interested about FLGS's around the world!

I frequent a place in Northern Ontario, Canada and we've got room enough for about 8 or so 6X4's at our FLGS. Even so, most of that is used up by people who play historical games and Warhammer Fantasy. It's a rare occasion that more than 3 40k games are happening at the same time.

In the UK FLGS cater almost exclusively to TCG's and the occasional board game. You'd be hard pressed to find one that does war gaming.

First-Captain

Dark Sphere in Lambeth, South London has several tables for gaming, it's moved from Waterloo to bigger premises under the railway arches, a big improvement.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Captain

Here in Perth, Western Australia there is a GW store with three 6x4 tables set up with terrain so all local Warhammer takes place in there. The independent store around the corner has low tables and chairs aimed at various TCGs and occasionally boardgames. Theoretically you could probably play a different tabletop game but you'd have to bring your own terrain etc.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Occuli Imperator

There are 5 brick and mortar GW stores closer to me than my nearest FLGS...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

At the moment I have 1 that can handle a single table; but they are kitting out a shed to handle up to another 5 I believe. Further out another is in a café nearby, and he can do up to 5 tables at a push. Both have dedicated game nights, one you can go 'anytime' and pay to play on the tables (I understand this as they do belong to the club rather than the shop and it helps to maintain them), while the other nearer to me is free.

As said DS in Waterloo area has loads of larger tables, I think you can get around 6? At the size you mention, but each of their tables is maybe double that lengthwise, so easy to do an Apocalypse on.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

The FLGS in my area are pretty small, 1-5 tables each. Warmahordes and X-wing are king. While 40k and Fantasy are played almost exclusively in the local GW.

Veteran-Sergeant

A few people have told me that in the UK at least GW 'hobby centers' far outnumber the FLGS's. Do any of the GW shops have five or more tables or are they like the 'shoebox' shops here in the US that I've been told have at most three tables? Is the historical game that folks are playing Flames of War or are there others? So far all the shops would fall into the 1-10 tables group. Do any of the FLGS's support tournament play by renting out a hall or similar venue, or is it mostly/all GW with their 'Throne of Skulls' type events held at Warhammer World? Do any of the FLGS's in Australia rent out a hall or similar venue for tournament play?

X-Wing was big the day it launched (duh, hehe), the only speed bump seems to be FFG keeping up with the demand for ships. Warmachines/Hordes is also popular. Have Star Trek Attack Wing, Infinity, Dropzone Commander or Malifaux gained much of a following? Infinity exploded onto the scene here and it looks like Dropzone Commander is about to as well. Star Trek started off slow, but is picking up speed. I haven't checked out the local Malifaux scene in Sac., but I did check it out at the Las Vegas Open and had a nice chat with Mack about the game.

Thanks again for all the info provided so far folks, it's very helpful!

Occuli Imperator

They seem to vary quite dramatically between the small single man shops to larger ones with two or more tables.

Then there is Warhammer world....
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast