BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xas View Post
    actually that "price hike" is all the economy's fault.

in europe the landraider has costed 50€ for at least 4 years.
    it going up to 55$ just represents the drop the US$ has taken and GW neither wanted to lower prices in europe nor have us buy from oversears. even though 55$ are nowhere near 50€ the big shipping and tax evens the trade out at allmost no savings if you wanted to do it.

same with the silent hike of the new models in GB itself. the pound suffered far more (not necesary because of the change in rates but because it is not protected by a hughe shipping cost and taxes).

with all the older GW products I can save an astounding 50% including shipping (and haveing no tax thanks to GB beeing part of EU). with the new "hiked" products the saveing went down to ~25-35% compared to a roughly 15% i can get from €-european webstores.

for a funny bit: gaunts even got cheaper in €-land: you now get 12 for ~20€ where you once got 16 for 30€
    This kind of links to what I said before. With the UK still in recession, having a UK company record good profits is an overall boost to the UK economy,thats the part I wont be complaining about. Also note that the job loses from GW dont seem to have been made in the UK, where they are planning, or at least were planning, to open more stores.

The fact that so many other companies have gone down the tubes and GW is still pulling in profits does give them some credibility to their financial thinking. I dont think they can continue with to many hikes, but over all it probably evens out.

One thing to not forget, is inflation of abou 2-3% a year, this must be taken into account. Honestly though Warhammer is cheap, its no more expensive than being a smoker, drinker, or golfer. All of those things are luxory items. I think people cry way to much about the prices when they are throwing it away on some of the things I mention every day.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Broxus View Post
    One thing to not forget, is inflation of abou 2-3% a year, this must be taken into account. Honestly though Warhammer is cheap, its no more expensive than being a smoker, drinker, or golfer. All of those things are luxory items. I think people cry way to much about the prices when they are throwing it away on some of the things I mention every day.
    But for 12 year old kids who are not smoking, drinking or playing golf, and need to use their parents' money for the hobby, it makes it a bit hard. I am guessing it is the young teens who cry most about the price hikes.

Abbess Sanctorum

Or college students with little money.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Or college students with little money.
    Thank you for saying that. It makes me feel less alone in the world.

I'm spending over $400 on books this semester. And that's USED.
    I've grown a mustache because I can't afford to buy a replacement razor...
    Goodbye Bols!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Templar View Post
    But for 12 year old kids who are not smoking, drinking or playing golf, and need to use their parents' money for the hobby, it makes it a bit hard. I am guessing it is the young teens who cry most about the price hikes.
    Or working adults who also have a mortgage, student loans, and all the other cost of living expensive that come with being a productive member of society.
    And I don't waste my money and drinking or smoking!

Its still cheaper to start an army then spend the weekend at a bar, but that doesn't exactly make this a 'poor mans' luxury either.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    Or working adults who also have a mortgage, student loans, and all the other cost of living expensive that come with being a productive member of society.
    And I don't waste my money and drinking or smoking!

Its still cheaper to start an army then spend the weekend at a bar, but that doesn't exactly make this a 'poor mans' luxury either.
    Well I have a mortgage, children, a relatively low paying job, do not drink or smoke, and I therefore do not have a lot of money to spend on the hobby. I do however accept that it is not a cheap hobby and see no point in complaining about price hikes in a luxury hobby, one that I have chosen to participate in.

If you can't afford it, find something else, or actively look at alternatives to paying full retail. Just because GW bumps the price of a LR by $5, does not mean you can't still get it half price elsewhere.

Again, I feel that any adult, regardless of financial responsibilities, should have the maturity to know when they might need to put the hobby on hold.

I do not hold the same expectations for young teens who do not value money and generally leech off others to feed their habits.

DT.

p.s. I have just put on my flame-proof vest in anticipation of replies.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Templar View Post
    Well I have a mortgage, children, a relatively low paying job, do not drink or smoke, and I therefore do not have a lot of money to spend on the hobby. I do however accept that it is not a cheap hobby and see no point in complaining about price hikes in a luxury hobby, one that I have chosen to participate in.

If you can't afford it, find something else, or actively look at alternatives to paying full retail. Just because GW bumps the price of a LR by $5, does not mean you can't still get it half price elsewhere.

Again, I feel that any adult, regardless of financial responsibilities, should have the maturity to know when they might need to put the hobby on hold.

I do not hold the same expectations for young teens who do not value money and generally leech off others to feed their habits.

DT.

p.s. I have just put on my flame-proof vest in anticipation of replies.
    I'll start my saying that every month I get my satilliate TV, or cell phone bill I briefly consider cancelling it(wife won't let me- TV seems to be her hobby), and I moan everytime gas prices increase - ever! I've never been the type to spend my money on a want over a need. I'm fact I'm doing my best to not buy gw products for a while, not because I'm hurting myself financially but because I feel that I've enough unpainted/unassembled stuff in my closet, and even though I don't have 'everything' in my army(s), I don't 'need' anything else.

I actually agree with you. Its not a 'cheap' hobby, but I really can't think of many hobbies that are and truthfully it is much cheaper then most. What frustrates me is the % that models seem to be increasing by. I think that 3x5-15% in a year and a half on a select set of models is boarder line criminal - why because I'm cheap (frugal is probably a better word). So I have a hard time seeing how 'no product improvement' should result in higher prices (I'm thinking metal blisters here for the most part). And there are models that I feel are worth the higher prices (valkyrie is one of them), but things like the new demolisher, where they drop a sprue, and charge you 5$ more for a new model really bothers me because its really a 15$ price increase if you want (the direct order) sprue), which makes it a massive price increase of 25%! I just don't see the justification, so I haven't bought one!

In general I do make my purchases from non-gw online retalors for the average of 20-25% off (because to me that is what they are'worth'), and if that wasn't available to me, I'd probably only by one or two things a year, and it would be around my birthday or christmas, instead of a monthly or moderate impulse basis, and if they keep raising these prices as these rates, I may just stop buying for a great long time, until I need a new codex or a new edition rolls out.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-18-2010 at 04:00 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

The problem with concepts like "expensive" or "cheap" is that they're entirely subjective. If I earn £100,000 a week then WH40K isn't expensive but if I earn £100 a week then it's a pretty expensive thing to go buy an army box for £50. I guess what this really comes down to is at what point does a price increase mean that the item is too expensive for the majority of people to consider that they're prepared to buy it.

Ten Marines for £20 is roughly the cost now iirc. Is that worth it to me? Can I afford it without impacting my life? Am I prepared to spend that portion of my 'spare' non-bills money on that particular luxury? The answers to these will be different for different people.

As Lord Azaghul says this isn't actually all that expensive a hobby £ per hour you get. A video game costing £40 may well last 10 hours, a marine box set for £20 takes time to build and paint then everytime you play a game you're improving your cost by time ratio
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast