BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Retiring previous editions

Not sure if this is exactly the correct area to ask this but ... oh well.

I've been playing 40K only since fourth edition, and the hundreds of dollars I've spent are now taking up valuable real-estate on my shelves. Other than using them for nerdy decoupage or else (equally tempting) setting them atop a funeral pyre of old tires and halogenated plastics - my personally signature to climate change - what use can these older editions be put to? What do you guys do with your outdated editions?

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chapter-Master

My FLGS will buy 'em for a couple of books and then resell them. I don't know why anyone would buy 'em - nostalgia value, maybe? - but I often turn piles of old books into new books and minis.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    Not sure if this is exactly the correct area to ask this but ... oh well.

I've been playing 40K only since fourth edition, and the hundreds of dollars I've spent are now taking up valuable real-estate on my shelves. Other than using them for nerdy decoupage or else (equally tempting) setting them atop a funeral pyre of old tires and halogenated plastics - my personally signature to climate change - what use can these older editions be put to? What do you guys do with your outdated editions?
    Mine go in a Tupperware bin in the storeroom to join every other old edition and codex since Rogue Trader. I try not to think about how much money I've sunk into what's in there.

I still have a copy of 6th edition Collector's Edition still sealed in its box GW sent me by mistake. Guess I waited a bit too long to try and eBay it.

I have a cardboard box in my basement filled with old 40K, fantasy, and D&D books.

Chapter-Master

I have my gaming shelf.

Its starting to get a little full. Might have to start finding a home for the old codexes, rule book and Imperial Armours....
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

You can get a surprising amount on EBay - for example I made about £150 last week selling off: 1st ed battle and vehicle manuals, 2nd ed rulebooks, cards and templates, Adeptus Titanicus rule books, Dark Future rulebooks, a bunch of old citadel journals and a few miscellaneous other GW books including a WFRP rulebook - I was pretty surprised, was expecting a couple of pounds each at best, I mostly just put them up because I had to clear my rubbish out of my Mum's garage finally and I didn't want to just throw it all out. YMMV of course
    Last edited by Nick1080; 05-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.

I have mine stored in a storage box until the house move, when they will all be arranged on shelves next to a sofa in my gaming room, a complete collection of 2nd Ed books, most 3rd and 4th ed codexes and most current codexes, along with a variety of other game books from other systems, a lot of WFB Army books from the 90s and a range of white dwarfs from 50 to now (not at all complete but a good selection to show the different eras of the magazine at least), if you come over to mine for a game and have some down time, you'll be able to sit back with a cuppa and flick through some gaming history, can't wait!

I'm one of the people that will buy older stuff on ebay for a surprising amount! Most of my friends and I played a lot in the 90s, so stuff from that era holds a lot of nostalgia for us and is worth the price to feel like a 10 year old kid again!

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    My FLGS will buy 'em for a couple of books and then resell them. I don't know why anyone would buy 'em - nostalgia value, maybe? - but I often turn piles of old books into new books and minis.
    Why maybe because they would prefer to play 2nd or 3rd Edition 40K or even Rogue Trader.

Veteran-Sergeant

I still have all of mine since 3rd edition. There's still some good stuff in them. Want to play a different scenario or use special rules? Pull out those old editions and you can get some pretty nifty ideas.
    On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

I have all of mine before 4th Edition, So Rogue Trader, 2nd Edition & 3rd Edition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast