BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Mail them back to GW with a note that says: Thanks for the Memories.

Occuli Imperator

Mine sit in edition order on my shelf, next to codecii in order of alphabet and edition.

Then break them out for the annual retro weekend, 1 army that must be compliant in all edition rules, then a series of campaigns using them from 1 to 5 to see who is the undestputed master of 40k all editions.

Obviously, things to remember if you are playing a 2000pt 6th ed game it is probably around 4000pt 2nd ed and thats where things get clunky....
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I just keep them all and look into them sometimes, when I need some old school inspiration for terrain and stuff. Sam with my lizardmen books, have all since 5th.

And the shortstories/background sections are all neat and fun someti

I feel like a traitor nerd for not saving mine but for my nephews last birthday I sent them all my old white dwarf and old codex. He likes drawing monsters so I hope he finds some inspiration and maybe joins the hobby.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by dreadtanker View Post
    I feel like a traitor nerd for not saving mine but for my nephews last birthday I sent them all my old white dwarf and old codex. He likes drawing monsters so I hope he finds some inspiration and maybe joins the hobby.
    No this is perfectly acceptable usage, get them interesting in the lore and then when they are older convert them. The Jervis is strong with this one.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    Not sure if this is exactly the correct area to ask this but ... oh well.

I've been playing 40K only since fourth edition, and the hundreds of dollars I've spent are now taking up valuable real-estate on my shelves. Other than using them for nerdy decoupage or else (equally tempting) setting them atop a funeral pyre of old tires and halogenated plastics - my personally signature to climate change - what use can these older editions be put to? What do you guys do with your outdated editions?
    I play them.

"What are we playing this weekend?"

"40k?"

"Edition?"

"3rd?"

"Ok"
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

I have all my old editions on a separate shelf, sometimes I like/want to read the old fluff that hasn't been updated.

Just the other day I had an argument about the Wolf and the Lion with a mate and whipped out my copy of Angels of Death and was proved right...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I play them.

"What are we playing this weekend?"

"40k?"

"Edition?"

"3rd?"

"Ok"
    Why would any one choose to play 3rd over anything else, over simplified game and horrid dull Codexes.

I get the RT and 2nd ed Oldhammer dudes, but 3rd ed nostalgia Its the current edition but crapper?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1080 View Post
    You can get a surprising amount on EBay - for example I made about £150 last week selling off: 1st ed battle and vehicle manuals, 2nd ed rulebooks, cards and templates, Adeptus Titanicus rule books, Dark Future rulebooks, a bunch of old citadel journals and a few miscellaneous other GW books including a WFRP rulebook - I was pretty surprised, was expecting a couple of pounds each at best, I mostly just put them up because I had to clear my rubbish out of my Mum's garage finally and I didn't want to just throw it all out. YMMV of course

Its mostly guys who got into the hobby in later editions wanting some of the cool stuff thats only in one or two books.I got into the hobby in 2nd ed and would love some RT hard copies.

Got a few dupes myself and will be selling them on Ebay soon.

I have a second shelf for retired books. I also have a lot of old models in my armies, so I look back through them for hobby inspiration, or to see how a particular model was painted by 'Eavy Metal back in the day.

All of my GW books are retired as I stopped buying rule books books during 5th. I just stopped seeing the value of owning them. I still keep up with the game but through more nefarious means. I keep all my old stuff on a bookshelf and go back to them whenever I want to read some fluff.
    Last edited by Voltigeur; 05-19-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Boofhead View Post
    Why would any one choose to play 3rd over anything else, over simplified game and horrid dull Codexes.

I get the RT and 2nd ed Oldhammer dudes, but 3rd ed nostalgia Its the current edition but crapper?
    Nostalgia I guess. I don't tend to overthink it.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast