BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Khador Journeyman - Which Battlebox?

I'm a new player starting in a journeyman league in a few weeks. I saw that in addition to the retail battlebox there's the option for an 'alternative battlebox' with the Butcher. Piecing together the Butcher list would be a little more expense in real dollars, but I'd be willing to do that if it buys pieces I'm more likely to use in the future at higher point levels. Which would you recommend, both for learning the game as well as providing the best base to build on for expanding the army.

Retail Battlebox
    • pSorscha
    • Juggernaut
    • Destroyer

'Alternative' Battlebox
    • pButcher
    • Decimator (would need to get the 4 in 1 heavy warjack kit - am I correct that it could be magnetized to swap between versions?)
    • Kodiak

The Butcher box is probably the better of the two, just because Butcher is more survivable and smashes everything, however in the long run the Sorscha box is better, because you can make the Destroyer into Black Ivan, and Sorsha is one of the best casters in the faction at the moment once you learn how to deal with her squishiness.

If you go with the Butcher box though, yes you can magnetize the heavy!

I think I'm leaning towards Sorscha - I'm coming from a 40k background so I feel like I have the attrition/direct damage game down. It seems like she would be better for learning the assassination side of the game.

That said, what would you recommend for pushing the list to 15pts? I'm thinking of three options:

* A unit of widowmakers - provides some ranged damage, con is that they seem anti-infantry focused and 15pt battlebox games are jack heavy
    * A Drakhun w/o dismount - seems like it would act almost as a light warjack. But should I be looking for more screening?
    * A winterguard mortar and war dog - give Sorscha some protection, and the mortar seems like it would do well against frozen enemies.

Thanks. I think I'm leaning towards Sorscha as a learning experience, as it seems like she has more Warmachine specific nuance (spell interactions, assasination runs).

With that, what do you think are the best ways to round out to 15 pts? I'm thinking among the following:

* Widowmakers - adds some ranged shooting. Con seems to be a lack of infantry to shoot at in these battlebox+ matches.
    * Drakhun w/o dismount - seems like he would act like a light warjack. I'm worried that with a single model there isn't much screening for my caster.
    * Mortar and Wardog - mortar seems like it would rock with Sorscha's freezing shenanigans, and the wardog gives her some protection.

you absolutely want a wardog. I question the sanity of any Khador player that does not field one.

Depends on what your fighting. If its Cryx, your chance of survival is a bit higher with pS because you can weather the storm and then counter attack with guaranteed hits.

Pearsonally, I like the pSorscha battlebox and get widowmakers to get up to 15 pts. Run in, feat, have destroyer land some damage on their warcaster and the widowmakers take some shots. To get up to 25 pts, get the WGDS. practically builds itself up to 25 pts.

as to warcasters, go with either, Butcher is amaznig, Shorscha not so much in my humble opinion, I mean I like her but I'm at a loss to how she can advance, freeze something then windrush back again like some sort of crazy ferret, that well, as well as the lack of ironflesh :/ but otherwise, a fantastic caster.

As to the jacks. I would say Juggy/destroyer is a fantastic combination, but you won't use them often at all, so I would say that removes that option (juggy and destroyer at 7/9 pts, when you can have Beast09/behemoth, that's the thing, khador jacks are good, but unless they have a gimmick they are outshined by their character jacks. esp as usually you are looking at running a single jack per caster)

Kodiaks are great, they just suffer from not being a mk1 kodiak, but they are fun as hell with all the shenannigans that you can pull with pathfinder and chain attack two handed throw, and decimators are frankly pants, if you can buy a multibox and build a destroyer to upgrade to black ivan, and a maurader or whichever you want, gives you choice...