BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: ADL Question

Default ADL Question

We have someone in our group questioning the placement of the pieces from an ADL, wishing to place them in multiple places of 2 pieces together. There was an FAQ about this on the GW site that said all pieces must be touching in 1 unbroken line, however they are stating that since Stonghold Assault came out AFTER the FAQ and does not state this, they can place them however they want.

Can someone please confirm this for me which instance is correct?

Thank you

Occuli Imperator

FAQ v1.5

[url]http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/40K-RULEBOOK.pdf[/url]

Q: Can you deploy the Aegis Defence Line sections in two or
    more groups of two or more sections apiece (this way, they will
    still be in base contact with at least one other section)? (p114)
    A: No – the Aegis defence line sections must be deployed
    in an unbroken chain, though they can be connected endto-
    end such as in the example shown on page 114.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Yes I linked this. They are stating that that FAQ is referring to the main rulebook, which preceded Strong Hold coming out, and since Strong Hold came out after, it is no longer valid.

Occuli Imperator

Stronghold (pp13)

[adf]Composition: Up to 4 long and 4 short Aegis Defense Line sections. Each section of defense line must be placed in contact with at least one other section.
    Oh I see what the issue is.

The use of "section" as in section of defensive line (i.e. I have split my ADF into two sections) and section as in the bit of plastic in the box.

My take:

Comosition: Up to 4 long and 4 short Aegis Defense Line sections. Each Aegis Defense Line section must be placed in contact with at least one other Aegis Defense Line section, to form one Defense Line.
    I.e. they all link up together.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Exactly. I believe that is what caused the FAQ to come out in the first place, people were making several ADLs consisting of 2 sections. Of course Stronghold was a cut/paste from the damn Rulebook, so therein the problem came up:

Rulebook comes out
    FAQ
    Stronghold comes out with same wording as rulebook
    People stating "well this came out after the faq..."

Clearly the pictures show the sections must all be touching, and due to the poor wording of the sentence you can have multiple interpretations.

*edit*

Is there something other than common sense that states "Just because Stronghold was released after the FAQs were printed, doesn't mean you revert to a wrong interpretation of how to place ADLs?"
    Last edited by Demonus; 05-16-2014 at 12:43 PM.

To use his logic against him "UP TO 4 long and 4 short" he has 2 defence lines as they say a defence line can compose of less which his does.

What are the lengths of the long and short sections? Just curious because i want to build my own. Also can anyone tell me the size of a knight base? I have a stand in i want to use and i want to base it correctly.